Bias against EM physicians in Peds EM?

Started by DeadCactus
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DeadCactus

Full Member
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looking at some older threads, I see claims of a bias against EM trained physicians in applications for both the Peds EM fellowship itself and Peds EM jobs.

Is there any truth to this? Is going the EM route pretty much blocking yourself out of places like CHOP?
 
I think there is some degree of bias towards peds residency trained peds EM docs, but how strong that is depends on the candidate and the institution. I've known a number of EM residency trained folks who work in a dedicated children's ED at a Big Children's Hospital, but the majority are definitely peds trained. I also think there's a lot of things that EM trained folks bring to the peds ED: your experience with ultrasound, general procedural experience, dealing with older 'kids' who are now basically adults with adult diseases, that sort of thing.
 
Its my understanding that Peds EM fellowship is reserved only for peds trained individuals. And it is true that many large children's hospitals will only hire peds EM trained individuals. If you are going to a community hospital where the expectation is that you will take care of both adults and kids, this is completely different-- straight EM is where it's at. If your plan is to take care of only children-- then peds and peds EM is the way to go.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Its my understanding that Peds EM fellowship is reserved only for peds trained individuals. And it is true that many large children's hospitals will only hire peds EM trained individuals. If you are going to a community hospital where the expectation is that you will take care of both adults and kids, this is completely different-- straight EM is where it's at. If your plan is to take care of only children-- then peds and peds EM is the way to go.

There is a peds fellowship for EM trained folks, which allows you to be board eligible for peds EM, and I've seen these people working in dedicated peds EDs. Some work in both adult and peds sides (we have one here who does it). Most people who go EM->peds route, however, do work in adult facilities. I'd be interested in what any of the adult EM guys say as well.
 
There is a peds fellowship for EM trained folks, which allows you to be board eligible for peds EM, and I've seen these people working in dedicated peds EDs. Some work in both adult and peds sides (we have one here who does it). Most people who go EM->peds route, however, do work in adult facilities. I'd be interested in what any of the adult EM guys say as well.

A guy who was a senior when I was an intern went into our peds EM program. He did two years to the peds grad's three, though I think it had to do more with credit for adult EM rotations already completed than anything else.

Where he works, he does 3/4 peds EM and 1/4 adult EM to keep his hand in the adult world, but he was specifically hired in a very tough geographic market because he was peds EM trained.