Bias against EMT / Paramedic?

Started by pointodr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pointodr

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all

How would working part time as an EMT / Paramedic through undergrad and med school be perceived by program directors?

I have heard that there may be a bias against this population in subspecialties such a nsgy. Is this true?
 
1) I know plenty of people who did per-diem EMS in medical school

2) I think it is a positive when applying to residency if you are cool about it, but a lot of people in med school never STFU about "back when I worked in the field and we did the REAL MEDICINE blah blah blah"....it's like, dude, we're trying to memorize the brachial plexus over here, simmer down. So don't be that guy whose personal statement is all about EMS and you always wear black tactical boots 365 days a year and talk about "tubing" people over lunch and whine about the "young" medical students