Big hospital setting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTlife2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody! I was hoping to get some feedback from physical therapists that work in large hospital. I was curious on what it was like and what kind of cases you see and if it is a fun not boring job? I also heard trauma physical therapy is very interesting and I was wondering what makes it so interesting? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

you may get more feedback on the Facebook group, "doctor of physical therapy students"

You're question is a little broad. Are you a PT student yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're question is a little broad. Are you a PT student yet?
No, I'm a pre-physical therapy student. I was just curious because I see people saying inpatient physical therapy is boring, but I figured a big hospital would be very interesting because of all the different departments to work in and the diversity of patient cases. So i just wanted a physical therapy student or a physical therapist to explain how working in a bigger hospital would be different than a little hospital.

I don't think being in a big hospital automatically means more variation. I was a student at a Banner hospital, and the majority of patients I saw were TKA and THA. You see the weekly ICU rush, I saw someone with Polio, several patients on the Telemetry unity and one patient that was in the psych ward...or room haha. But the overwhelming majority were TKA, THA. I found both inpatient and outpatient to be very monotonous case diagnosis wise, but part of the fun is the patient personalities you encounter and your interaction with them.

Reactions: 1 user
Some people love acute care, some people hate it. Same goes for rehab, outpatient and everything else. Just wait till you get there and experience them all yourself :) do as diverse of observation hours as you can while your pre-pt so you get a good ideaof just how much variety is out there.

Reactions: 1 users