Big names at Mayo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raltima07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I get to work at Mayo and wanted to work with some big names on research and for LOR purposes. In your opinion, who are the big names?

Members don't see this ad.

Why so focused on famous people? Typically those are the ones who have so much going on that a student looking for a project won't even cross their radar. Find a lab that's just starting up and has some pilot work you'd be interested in.

I agree, dont focus on whether or not they're famous, focus on if you think that professor will actually care about mentoring and developing a relationship with you. Not always easy to figure out early on

Members don't see this ad :)
You might be better served by figuring out who will actually have the time to write you a good LOR than you will be by finding the most famous person to write you one. Often, the big names are so busy with research, teaching, conferences, and the like that they can't really get to know you and might forget/delay/half-ass your LoR.

Thanks for the responses,

I understand that I should work with people for good LORs. I already have worked with 2 other people who will give me very strong letters. I talked to the PD at Mass Gen/Partners who suggested working with 1-2 big name (I.E the biggest I could could) so that I can overcome some other deficits in my application.

With that in mind, is there a certain Dr. or 2 who are the 'biggest' names at Mayo? People everyone in neurology knows?

I know it is a stupid question but I am in crunch time.