Big new scheme to make money-drug metabolism testing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

y2k_free_radical

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is widespread in my area.Testing patients to genetically determine how they metabolize one to five drug types for $2,000-$5,000.Testing companies run patients through hospitals since they have the insurance contracts and split the proceeds.Also many are now charging individually for testing of multiple organisms using a single urine,G.I. or respiratory panel causing a culture to cost several hundred dollars.This is done by the same types that brought us "liquid gold" or $1,600-$2,400 urine drug tests.Our hospital administration has ordered our laboratory to participate.

Members don't see this ad.

This is widespread in my area.Testing patients to genetically determine how they metabolize one to five drug types for $2,000-$5,000.Testing companies run patients through hospitals since they have the insurance contracts and split the proceeds.Also many are now charging individually for testing of multiple organisms using a single urine,G.I. or respiratory panel causing a culture to cost several hundred dollars.This is done by the same types that brought us "liquid gold" or $1,600-$2,400 urine drug tests.Our hospital administration has ordered our laboratory to participate.

not sure what to make of this other than to say please include link?

not sure what to make of this other than to say please include link?
No link but this is widespread-google "drug testing billing scams" and then connect this with small hospitals such as CHESTATEE REGIONAL in DAHLONEGA,GA PUTNAM COUNTY ,MO. HOSPITAL or FULTON MEDICAL CENTER in FULTON,MO or one in GRACEVILLE,FL

Members don't see this ad :)
No link but this is widespread-google "drug testing billing scams" and then connect this with small hospitals such as CHESTATEE REGIONAL in DAHLONEGA,GA PUTNAM COUNTY ,MO. HOSPITAL or FULTON MEDICAL CENTER in FULTON,MO or one in GRACEVILLE,FL

That is a very very old racket. Clay Cockrell got caught in it and the guy is a dermpath!

The drug testing scam thing is well trod ground. I thought you were aware of something new...

I think y2k meant the new twist - pharmacogenetic testing rather than actual drug testing. Sounds sexier - molecular testing and whatnot. But the ripoff is the same. So sad!!!

I think y2k meant the new twist - pharmacogenetic testing rather than actual drug testing. Sounds sexier - molecular testing and whatnot. But the ripoff is the same. So sad!!!
You are correct.Several hospitals in my area have partnered with various labs for pharmacogenetic testing concerning drug metabolism.They are also pushing doing myriad individual tests on gyn,urine,respiratory and gi cultures

Yes, I've noted some local entities pushing pharmacogenomic testing as well. It's definitely over ordered, but "personalized medicine" is just such a fun buzz word these days. I've even seen some DTC marketing for this with guidance on diet and exercise habits.