SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

big vs little moore

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by docsdaname14, Sep 1, 2002.

1. docsdaname14

docsdaname14 Junior Member 10+ Year Member

May 17, 2002
    as far as the two texts go, how much does the little one lack esp concerning the blue boxes?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Doctora Foxy

Doctora Foxy Meow 7+ Year Member

Jan 28, 2002
    I heard the blue boxes from big moore always show up on tests at my school, so I bought both big and lil books (don't worry, they were used and cheap). I skim big moore, but I pay more attention to the blue boxes.

Well I plan to, since I have barely done any reading yet :p

4. docsdaname14

docsdaname14 Junior Member 10+ Year Member

May 17, 2002
    isn't that overkill to use both, why are you doing it that way? what are the basic differences between the two? thanks.

5. Doctora Foxy

Jan 28, 2002
    Well the big one is enormous, so I bring the little one to school when I meet with my dissecting group to go over our assigned questions. The little Moore is required at my school, and I bought it and highlighted in it the very first day, so I couldn't return it.

The big Moore (which I bought used and it was cheap) has more diagrams and clinical correlations that are useful for exam-studying. I like to look at the pictures. :D Additionally, some diagrams that we're required to fill out before class are taken from pics that are found only in big Moore. Last year big Moore was required instead of the lil one, and the profs forgot to update the syllabus, so our assigned readings follow the pages of big Moore. So, if I ever decide to do a reading, at least I know what I'm supposed to cover. Also, now I have two nice books to give to my lil sib next year. :)

Let's hear it for redundance! :clap: ;)

6. i guess the little book does not have the blue boxes? well, a decent amount of the blue box material does show up on exams at most schools, so if the little book doesn't have the blue boxes, go with the big text.

7. Doctora Foxy

Jan 28, 2002
    Little Moore has little blue boxes ;)

8. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Atlanta
    If you're going into surgery, then big Moore will probably serve you better.

If you have an excellent dissection lab and lecture, then little Moore will be sufficient. Just look at the blue boxes in Big Moore and the diagrams. You should be warned that the diagrams in little Moore often omit important details, so make sure you look at the diagrams in big Moore (in addition to the blue boxes).

Cheers!

9. KyGrlDr2B

KyGrlDr2B 7+ Year Member

Oct 15, 2001
    KY
    I use big Moore and it is definitely test material. It also tells how to palpate certain things and I have a palpation coming up next week. :eek: I think I'm going to keep this book; it's full of cool stuff.

10. MustafaMond

MustafaMond K-Diddy M.D. 7+ Year Member

Jul 14, 2002
    I can teach you how to palpate, KYGRL.

Its really not that hard.....lets try.

Oh my, you're a natural!:oops:

11. KyGrlDr2B

KyGrlDr2B 7+ Year Member

Oct 15, 2001
    KY
    Har de har har. :oops:

12. barb

barb Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I'm a big fan of the big Moore, although I haven't really looked at little Moore. It's a great reference if you wanted to supplement lecture material. Generally, I check out the pictures and the blue boxes before lecture, then after lecture I read text on anything I feel I didn't fully understand during lecture.

13. anamarylee

anamarylee A la grande le puse Cuca 10+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Treasure Coast, FL
    I spoke to my S&D coordinator yesterday about this. Basically the baby Moore is a book for people who've already taken a comprehensive gross anatomy course. The Big Moore's diagrams are good for understanding the concepts. The Blue Boxes (Only available in the Big Moore) is where most of the theoretical exam questions come from in my school. I only look at the text in the big Moore if I don't understand something after I've seen the Netter and the Dissector. Blue boxes are a must, but the white text is only for reference when I'm stuck after netter and disector.

Hope this helps.