Biggest challenges in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtuoso735

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Lowly premed here, but I had a question for the medical students on this board, especially those in their last year or two. I'm interviewing soon, and noticed that a question that shows up on a lot of lists is "What do you see as a challenge for you in medical school?" or "What do you think will be the most difficult aspect of medical school for you?" I'm not really looking for answers to this question (although it would probably give me ideas :D), but I was wondering if the predictions you made as a premed were borne out by your actual experience? Did what you think would be difficult for you turn out to be not much a problem? Was something you expected to not be a big deal actually turn out to be a big deal? What has been the most challenging of aspect of medical school for you so far? I'm very curious.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

Lowly premed here, but I had a question for the medical students on this board, especially those in their last year or two. I'm interviewing soon, and noticed that a question that shows up on a lot of lists is "What do you see as a challenge for you in medical school?" or "What do you think will be the most difficult aspect of medical school for you?" I'm not really looking for answers to this question (although it would probably give me ideas :D), but I was wondering if the predictions you made as a premed were borne out by your actual experience? Did what you think would be difficult for you turn out to be not much a problem? Was something you expected to not be a big deal actually turn out to be a big deal? What has been the most challenging of aspect of medical school for you so far? I'm very curious.

Thanks!

Getting used to the idea of studying your ass off and barely staying afloat.

it's not hard (just something you take day by day) unless you have other responsibilities. so if you have other responsibilities, you can talk about that

Members don't see this ad :)
the sheer volume of material and the short amount of time you have to master it.

the fire hydrant comparison? totally true.

The hardest thing about med school? Realizing that procrastination was not going to get me straight A's anymore.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepting the fact that you can do your absolute very best and study your tail off only to barely break the class average on exams.

I don't remember if I was asked this sort of question, but I would definite answer it differently today than I did then. The most difficult part of medical school is speaking coherently in grammatically proper sentences using technical words after being awake for 24 straight hours. And remembering that what feels like all today to me was mostly yesterday to the rest of my team.

As a second year, struggling to maintain balance between study time and the rest of my life (food, exercise, social activities, relaxation). Recently I've found it hard to take any second away from my study time without trembling in fear of the consequences.

As a second year, struggling to maintain balance between study time and the rest of my life (food, exercise, social activities, relaxation). Recently I've found it hard to take any second away from my study time without trembling in fear of the consequences.

Did you tremble in fear while writing that post?

My answer was probably something about making time for my family, hobbies, etc. I don't think that's necessarily true as a student. With the exception of a few rotations, in medical school I've had plenty of free time to hang out and have fun.

It's been tough accepting my place as an "average" medical student, though you get over that eventually.

Members don't see this ad :)
The hardest thing for me has been figuring out how to study. What worked for me in undergrad is pretty useless now.

Is no one worried about patient interaction? You can study all day and learn a bunch of facts, but performing exams on patients, taking histories, dealing with ones who may not respect you as a physician in training worries me a lot more than memorizing a lot of stuff. A book can't teach me how to handle a social interaction.

I'm not saying I'm socially awkward or ******ed when it comes to these things, but it certainly is a bigger concern how I will perform in front of patients than how I fill out a test.

Is no one worried about patient interaction? You can study all day and learn a bunch of facts, but performing exams on patients, taking histories, dealing with ones who may not respect you as a physician in training worries me a lot more than memorizing a lot of stuff. A book can't teach me how to handle a social interaction.

I'm not saying I'm socially awkward or ******ed when it comes to these things, but it certainly is a bigger concern how I will perform in front of patients than how I fill out a test.

Practice. Same with anything else.

Hardest thing for me was/is compartmentalizing my life - in undergrad I could always do everything all at the same time without really focusing in on anything, not true for med school!

As a semi non-trad out of school for a few years, the hardest part has been accepting that other students are just as bright as I am AND are somewhat better-prepared. I'm not in the top of the class right now, and if I want to get there I'm going to have to study my butt off and... hope for magic.

Accepting the fact that you can do your absolute very best and study your tail off only to barely break the class average on exams.
And then as an M3, knowing that you should try harder, be more interested, and read more tonight, but just not having the energy to do so.

Honestly, the basics of patient interaction are about being socially unawkward.

Getting a good history and physical, however, is something that comes with repeated attempts and lots of practice. As a MS3 you'll get a lot of practice with that.

As a semi non-trad out of school for a few years, the hardest part has been accepting that other students are just as bright as I am AND are somewhat better-prepared. I'm not in the top of the class right now, and if I want to get there I'm going to have to study my butt off and... hope for magic.

Hey, welcome to the island! As a fourth year, I can assure you that there are constant restratifications so those that may be on top now, may not be next year or even the year after so have some faith.

As for what the biggest challenge in medical school is, by far it's getting comfortable with the fact that you will never be finished with your to-do list. Ever.

Realizing that "cramming" starts almost a week out from the test.

Hey, welcome to the island! As a fourth year, I can assure you that there are constant restratifications so those that may be on top now, may not be next year or even the year after so have some faith.

As for what the biggest challenge in medical school is, by far it's getting comfortable with the fact that you will never be finished with your to-do list. Ever.

No kidding. I figured I was an idiot as a first year, having never taken any medically relevant upper level bios (or even being a pre-med) as an undergrad. I barely knew how to study and got trounced first year and did only slightly better second year.

Third year was a huge jump for me, and 4th year AIs have seen an even bigger jump.

Restratification is the name of the game. You just have to be on top when it matters.

As an MS1, I've only been at for a few weeks, but thus far it's been trying to find a good balance b/w studying and socializing... I think I've gotten the studying down, but the social aspect is fading a bit. Also getting use to the idea that everyone's smart in medical school... everyone. I can't underestimate anyone... And while I think I know where I'm at against others, it feels like I have to work so much harder to get there... at the end of the day, I want to do my best without being unreasonably devoted to studying. I just hope my best is good enough.