Biggest Failure/Weakness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stanford05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm sure a lot of you guys have been asked a question like this before. What do you think is the best approach? On the one, hand, you could "play it safe" and just say you're too much of a perfectionist or spread yourself too thin.. but I know that's really cliche and prob not true.

On the other hand, you could be really objective and come up with something, but risk stating a weakness that could jeapordize the interviewers opinion of you.

Hmm...

Members don't see this ad.

The best way to approach this question is to come up with a realistic weakness like time management and then follow up by saying how you've been working to improve and lessen this weakness through a certain action or actions such as getting a dail planner or something like that. Hope that helps some.

stanford05 said:
So I'm sure a lot of you guys have been asked a question like this before. What do you think is the best approach? On the one, hand, you could "play it safe" and just say you're too much of a perfectionist or spread yourself too thin.. but I know that's really cliche and prob not true.

On the other hand, you could be really objective and come up with something, but risk stating a weakness that could jeapordize the interviewers opinion of you.

Hmm...
Just tell them a weakness that doesn't mean you are gonna kill someone or fail out medical school or treat your patients poorly... I'm sure we all have some weaknesses. I said various ones at different interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally like the good 'ol

"Weaknesses? Well I tend to be a perfectionist. So I always do everything perfect and never make any mistakes. I an almost obsessive about getting things done on time. I never wake up late or sleep in and even when I do sleep, I'm dreaming about ways to improve myself. I tend to read the lastest medical journals obsessively and memorize them. I also memorize things like my organic chemistry textbook, just so I can do "perfect" on my exam instead of merely "outstanding." So I would say my greatest weakness is that, sometimes in my careful attention to detail, my laser-like focus, I tend to overlook the the broader importance of what I am doing so perfectly."

Crake said:
I personally like the good 'ol

"Weaknesses? Well I tend to be a perfectionist. So I always do everything perfect and never make any mistakes. I an almost obsessive about getting things done on time. I never wake up late or sleep in and even when I do sleep, I'm dreaming about ways to improve myself. I tend to read the lastest medical journals obsessively and memorize them. I also memorize things like my organic chemistry textbook, just so I can do "perfect" on my exam instead of merely "outstanding." So I would say my greatest weakness is that, sometimes in my careful attention to detail, my laser-like focus, I tend to overlook the the broader importance of what I am doing so perfectly."
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin:

here's a spin on the ol' weakness question.

at mayo my interviewer asked me, "so what's your biggest weakness?" i did the "i always try to learn everything about everything response, but then i followed up by saying that I realize this is something that i'll really have to work on in med school and it's something i've come to terms with during my undergrad.

he agreed. then he asked, "so what's the mayo clinic's biggest weakness?"

i was pretty shocked at that one, cuz it's the freakin' mayo clinic. i mean, how many weaknesses can it possibly have?

futuremsfdoc said:
here's a spin on the ol' weakness question.

at mayo my interviewer asked me, "so what's your biggest weakness?" i did the "i always try to learn everything about everything response, but then i followed up by saying that I realize this is something that i'll really have to work on in med school and it's something i've come to terms with during my undergrad.

he agreed. then he asked, "so what's the mayo clinic's biggest weakness?"

i was pretty shocked at that one, cuz it's the freakin' mayo clinic. i mean, how many weaknesses can it possibly have?
Weakness - yall haven't accepted me yet.
:laugh: Either good for a laugh, instand rejection, or both :smuggrin: