Biggest issues in anesthesia right now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soltraynmd112

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm prepping for interviews and one question that came up was "What problems do you think the specialty faces?". Can anyone address this question or point me to some resources that might shed some light on the topic?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm prepping for interviews and one question that came up was "What problems do you think the specialty faces?". Can anyone address this question or point me to some resources that might shed some light on the topic?

Here's my reconstruction of the events leading to this post:
1) brainstorm tough questions that might come up at interviews
2) realize SDN is a good resource
3) obtain "Soul Train"-derived username (were "soltraynmd"s 001 thru 111 taken?)
4) ask vague question that might be better and more substantially answered by folks you know

Incidentally, I don't have an answer to your question...

When is wanting to paid fairly for the work you do, being greedy. If you are making only 250K per year and working full time you are being forced to give a large chunk of your earning to the non working absentee owner A$$hole who holds the contract.

Everywhere I look anesthesia groups are run by a$$holes or crooks, I have done some locums and every where you go there is another unbelievable story about how the dishonest leader of a group stole from the people doing the work.

Members don't see this ad :)

Don't talk about money, declining salaries, etc. You could casually bring up the new Medicare cuts but be sure to qualify that anesthesia isn't the only specialty facing cuts, and that this is more of an issue facing all of healthcare.

Issues to bring up: Increasing demand and who should provide services. Does an anesthesia provider really need to be present at every 'sedation' suite in the hospital? Who should decide (we should, and we should credential and train those in the cath lab, GI suite and so on)?
Research. We don't put out much meaningful research. Look at NEJM, when was the last time you saw an anesthesia paper?
Perioperative medicine. Is this the right direction for the specialty? How much control should we have over the pre and post op process?