Biggest Weakness or red flag??

Started by mightyATP
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mightyATP

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can I address stuttering as my biggest weakness during my interviews? I had a very mild stutter when I was a child and this led to the lack of confidence and make me feel like my words were inferior and insignificant compared to others. I have since worked on this by participating in public speaking and have significantly improved in my speech. I might stutter once or twice during my interview but I think that’s normal. Is this worth noting as a weakness? Or will it be a red flag?
 
Can I address stuttering as my biggest weakness during my interviews? I had a very mild stutter when I was a child and this led to the lack of confidence and make me feel like my words were inferior and insignificant compared to others. I have since worked on this by participating in public speaking and have significantly improved in my speech. I might stutter once or twice during my interview but I think that’s normal. Is this worth noting as a weakness? Or will it be a red flag?
I don't know that a mild stutter is a good choice for a biggest weakness, but overcoming feelings of inferiority/lack of confidence because of it is certainly appropriate for A challenge/weakness you overcame since you addressed it proactively and succeeded.
 
I don't know that a mild stutter is a good choice for a biggest weakness, but overcoming feelings of inferiority/lack of confidence because of it is certainly appropriate for A challenge/weakness you overcame since you addressed it proactively and succeeded.

Thank you! Your angle definitely makes more sense and directly addresses the biggest weakness question.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know that a mild stutter is a good choice for a biggest weakness, but overcoming feelings of inferiority/lack of confidence because of it is certainly appropriate for A challenge/weakness you overcame since you addressed it proactively and succeeded.

Very much this. Talk about how you felt, how you overcome it, and bonus points if you can connect it to paying it forward.

The details of the stutter itself are relatively less important.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
 
Can I address stuttering as my biggest weakness during my interviews? I had a very mild stutter when I was a child and this led to the lack of confidence and make me feel like my words were inferior and insignificant compared to others. I have since worked on this by participating in public speaking and have significantly improved in my speech. I might stutter once or twice during my interview but I think that’s normal. Is this worth noting as a weakness? Or will it be a red flag?
Focus on your personality. Introspection is a required trait for a doctor