perromaxfilm

10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2009
Status
Hello,
In training we used to only due one sided cervical MBB for the theoretical risk of blocking bilateral phrenic nerves. For bilateral pain, we made patients pick a side. However, I have seen multiple private practice groups do just this. Is this an unreasonable risk? I only use 0.5 cc at each level and would only do 2 bilateral joints. For bilateral axial neck pain it would certainly save many patients multiple visits and copays. It would also make the patient's reported relief much more clear. Thanks.

bedrock

15+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2005
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Agree with steve. The risk is theoretical and I've never seen it in a decade of doing this. Bilateral cervical MBB are the way to go.

About the Ads

SommeRiver

2+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2018
Status
  1. Attending Physician
I don't do bilateral cervical MBB bc I have had pts become vertiginous.

Phrenic nerve anesthesia is a tough sell for me...I reject that.

Reactions: 1 user

bedrock

15+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2005
Status
  1. Attending Physician
I don't do bilateral cervical MBB bc I have had pts become vertiginous.

Phrenic nerve anesthesia is a tough sell for me...I reject that.

I should have added the caveat that I don't do blocks of TON,C3 bilaterally because of that issue.
However that isn't a problem lower in the c spine and so you can do C4-C7 bilateral MBB all day long and the patient shouldn't have any more side effects than a bilateral lumbar MBB.

oreosandsake

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
Chicago
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
or learn how to do them under ultrasound and see the nerve you are blocking...

you'd be surprised how many arteries are in the areas around the facets that are not found in Netter's

but i agree, I dont see any issue with Bilat CMBB. i do them from a lateral approach even if we burn from posterior to anterior

Apr 13, 2016
California
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Just look at the cross sectional anatomy - it’s a long way from the medial branch to the phrenic nerve, across multiple tissue planes. I just don’t see it happening.
related note: I’ll do bilateral C2-3 but I warn them extensively about dizziness, and use lidocaine instead of bupivacaine for the first one. Most tolerate it well. A few get really dizzy then we just do the RF one side at a time.

Ferrismonk

10+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2006
Status
  1. Attending Physician
or learn how to do them under ultrasound and see the nerve you are blocking...

you'd be surprised how many arteries are in the areas around the facets that are not found in Netter's

but i agree, I dont see any issue with Bilat CMBB. i do them from a lateral approach even if we burn from posterior to anterior
CMBB cpts are not paid under ultrasound. LCD requires flouroscopy

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads