Billing medicaid when patient has private

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ZakMeister

RPh
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So a patient has medicaid (kid) but he is also on his mom’s cigna plan. I don’t know why the medicaid didn’t pick up on this and rejected a claim saying to bill the primary.


Today I processed a claim for humalog thru cigna and the copay was ridiculous (+$500 most likely deductible). Patient returned a call saying to bill thru her son’s medicaid and that her employer is switching their plan. Would it be ethically appropriate to bill the medicaid when there is a primary available? I did bill the medicaid and it was a 0 copay
 
So a patient has medicaid (kid) but he is also on his mom’s cigna plan. I don’t know why the medicaid didn’t pick up on this and rejected a claim saying to bill the primary.


Today I processed a claim for humalog thru cigna and the copay was ridiculous (+$500 most likely deductible). Patient returned a call saying to bill thru her son’s medicaid and that her employer is switching their plan. Would it be ethically appropriate to bill the medicaid when there is a primary available? I did bill the medicaid and it was a 0 copay

C...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In IL, legally the private ins must be billed first, you can then bill the co-pay (or entire amount if not covered by the private ins) to Medicaid.