Billing medicaid when patient has private

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZakMeister

RPh
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a patient has medicaid (kid) but he is also on his mom’s cigna plan. I don’t know why the medicaid didn’t pick up on this and rejected a claim saying to bill the primary.

Today I processed a claim for humalog thru cigna and the copay was ridiculous (+$500 most likely deductible). Patient returned a call saying to bill thru her son’s medicaid and that her employer is switching their plan. Would it be ethically appropriate to bill the medicaid when there is a primary available? I did bill the medicaid and it was a 0 copay

Members don't see this ad.

So a patient has medicaid (kid) but he is also on his mom’s cigna plan. I don’t know why the medicaid didn’t pick up on this and rejected a claim saying to bill the primary.

Today I processed a claim for humalog thru cigna and the copay was ridiculous (+$500 most likely deductible). Patient returned a call saying to bill thru her son’s medicaid and that her employer is switching their plan. Would it be ethically appropriate to bill the medicaid when there is a primary available? I did bill the medicaid and it was a 0 copay

C...

You need to split bill it. Medicaid has to be updated on the patient's primary insurance info. If you bill them primary, you're just raising your own taxes.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Bill Cigna first them Medicaid as secondary, that way patient will meet deductible with primary insurance eventually and you are safe for auditing purpose.

Reactions: 3 users
In IL, legally the private ins must be billed first, you can then bill the co-pay (or entire amount if not covered by the private ins) to Medicaid.

Reactions: 1 user