• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

secoy

10+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Quick question for any of the attendings out there. If a case is cancelled for whatever reason, but the preop has been done; can you bill for the preop? If so, what cpt codes are you using? 99231 or something else?

A buddy tells me his pratice has always billed for preops performed on cancelled surgery.

Jay K

nullum gratuitum prandium
10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2008
ハードボイルド・ ワンダーランド
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You can bill an evaluation and management code for the preop, however keep in mind that patients may already be distressed that their case has been cancelled and will now receive a bill from the anesthesia service - that's not exactly excellent PR. It may be more appropriate to bill the preop if it was a consult requested by surgeon/patient, and for some reason the patient decided against elective surgery; Then paying for your time is reasonable.

I'm sure others may disagree with the above, always abiding by "your time is money," but sometimes promoting a little good will, advancing the good name of your practice, etc is worth the loss in income. I'd make it a case-specific practice depending on the circumstances.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.