Billing question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chn96

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have patient whom I have been seeing for low back / leg pain , improved with ESI.
Recently she was involved in MVA and associated with low back and leg pain. I want to do ESI under her MVA ( she has Med Pay $10,000 ) but my billing wants to do her under original commercial insurance as she said if she is exhausted with MedPay , I will not be able to treat her and we can not bill her regular insurance after we go through her MVA!
Is it right?

Members don't see this ad.

no... this makes no sense at any level.

after she is done with her MVA insurance, why cant you see her under her primary insurance?

what is she trying to save her MVA insurance for? is she thinking that money would go to her some day?

and your billers want her to go through her regular insurance, but if her MVA insurance is done, you cant see her through that same regular insurance you just billed for the ESI? what?

Members don't see this ad :)
This happens all the time. Treat the patient under their health insurance and the insurer will get reimbursed after the case settles. The patients attorney will handle that aspect.

Reactions: 1 user
no... this makes no sense at any level.

after she is done with her MVA insurance, why cant you see her under her primary insurance?

what is she trying to save her MVA insurance for? is she thinking that money would go to her some day?

and your billers want her to go through her regular insurance, but if her MVA insurance is done, you cant see her through that same regular insurance you just billed for the ESI? what?
Exactly. If has Mva insurance, can use that. If she has a injury claim/case and you bill her insurance, then the insurance can claw money back from
You and you have to chase the settlement to get paid. Or like pmrmd said, make sure the lawyer gets the insurance company paid so they don’t take back from you. Or just treat the patient under a lien if there is a case. You work that out with the lawyer.

If no case at all, then it’s fine to bill under insurance.

Be ready to be called by the patients lawyer a few days later to ask how the patient is doing? Don’t want to talk?…they may subpoena/depose u. I hate accident cases