Step I Binding globulin

Started by Saman49
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Saman49

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In first aid 2012 page 322 says with increase or decrease SHBG we have decrease and increase in free testosterone ==>; gynecomastia or hirsutism accordingly
But goljan says with increase or decreaseTBG in pregnant or lifter we have normal free T4 ==>; asymptomatic !!!
Can someone explain this?
 
I've actually encountered the TBG trick in a practice question before. Very tricky.

With pregnancy, there is a transient state when TBG increases such that free-T4 decreases and TSH increases.

However the TBG transition is a relatively slow one, so real lab values will show normal free-T4 and normal TSH, with increased total and bound-T4.

I'd be curious to hear someone's thoughts on the SHBG aspect though.
 
I've actually encountered the TBG trick in a practice question before. Very tricky.

With pregnancy, there is a transient state when TBG increases such that free-T4 decreases and TSH increases.

However the TBG transition is a relatively slow one, so real lab values will show normal free-T4 and normal TSH, with increased total and bound-T4.

I'd be curious to hear someone's thoughts on the SHBG aspect though.

any now thoughts about TBG and SHBG cuz i'm confused about this issue
 
Last edited: