Bio 2 necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuxDrugs&Rocuronium

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most schools say that 8 credit hours of biology are required. Do these 8 hours have to be bio 1 and 2? I’ve taken bio 1 but not 2, but I have plenty of other biology credits. Will I have to take bio 2 or can it be another class such such as upper division bio classes?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools say that 8 credit hours of biology are required. Do these 8 hours have to be bio 1 and 2? I’ve taken bio 1 but not 2, but I have plenty of other biology credits. Will I have to take bio 2 or can it be another class such such as upper division bio classes?

I only took Bio 1, but have many bio course to include upper level. If you’re a bio major then most likely it’s required anyways. Contact the schools you are interested in applying to and check because all of them have slight differences.

Reactions: 1 user
At least at the biology department of some major universities, bio 2 is a pre requisite for "upper division bio classes".
2015 Prerequisites

Last edited:
Knowing Bio 2 will help tremendously in the DAT biology section

If you have the biology credits then what do they care if you have bio 2 specifically? None of the schools I've gone to have even had a bio 2. I filled those slots with intro to bio and an animal biology course.

I only took bio 1 since my undergrad didn’t have a bio 2. I also took lots of upper level bio courses and filled the bio 2 slot with one of those courses. Didn’t have any issues while applying.

I've wondered the same thing with Weber- because they don't have a "biology" degree. I've talked to a couple guys who got accepted and they said that upper division classes like Cell Bio, Genetics, Micro Phys, etc. fulfilled their second semester of biology. From talking with our advisor it seems like most schools will accept botany or microbiology for the second semester of "biology."