Bio Q~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ippie

ippie
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this sentence ture or false?

"Reducing power is utilized in the calvin cycle and NADH is removed in the Kreb cycle."

The answer is TRUE.
This question is in #38, the 2nd test of TOPSCORE.
Do you think NADH is removed? I thougt that NADH is generated.
Can anyone explain?

Members don't see this ad.

"Reducing power is utilized in the calvin cycle and NADH is removed in the Kreb cycle."

The answer is TRUE.
Can anyone explain?

NADH is not removed in full, but NAD+ is converted to NADH in the krebs cycle, which is then used in the electron transport chain. Reducing power is utilized in the calvin cycle as the H's in the NADPH are used to build up the PGAL molecules that eventually become glucose.

So this is true, although it's sort of a poorly worded statement.

Thank you~
I have one more question.
Can I say that the oxdizing power is also used in Calvin cycle?
And Can I say that both oxidizing and reducing power are used also in Kreb cycle?
I think the answers are "YES" because both Calvin and Kreb cycle are related to Electron Transport Chain. And ETC are involved in both reducing and oxdizing. Correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
:cool: aint no difference b,w removed and generated
cuz when you generate something, you gotta remove it. cuz if you dont, then you are messed up

ippie said:
Is this sentence ture or false?

The answer is TRUE.
Can anyone explain?

I'm pretty sure NAD+ is reduced to NADH. What they mean by removed is that the generated NADH is no longer part of the cycle, instead it is "removed" to take part in oxidative phosphoralation.