Bio Q~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ippie

ippie
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A monkey is trained to push a button in response to a bell. Following training, the bell is rung once every minute for 2 days, at which time the monkey no longer pushes the button. This is an example of :

a. habituation
b. extinction
c. stimulus generalization
d. stimulus discrimination
e. impringting

what's the answer?
This problem is both in the Kaplan Full Length test 1 and in Kaplan CD.
However, the Kaplan full lenth test 1 says the answer is A while the Kaplan CD says the answer is B. It's wierd. They are exactly the same problem, not different even in a word.

Members don't see this ad.

ippie said:
A monkey is trained to push a button in response to a bell. Following training, the bell is rung once every minute for 2 days, at which time the monkey no longer pushes the button. This is an example of :

a. habituation
b. extinction
c. stimulus generalization
d. stimulus discrimination
e. impringting

what's the answer?
This problem is both in the Kaplan Full Length test 1 and in Kaplan CD.
However, the Kaplan full lenth test 1 says the answer is A while the Kaplan CD says the answer is B. It's wierd. They are exactly the same problem, not different even in a word.

Extinction = A reduction or a loss in the strength or rate of a conditioned response when the unconditioned stimulus or reinforcement is withheld.

Habituation = The decline of a conditioned response following repeated exposure to the conditioned stimulus.

I think HABITUATION is the right answer :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Its A simply because we have no info on re-enforcement etc... I think its not a very good question though I think it would be mroe clear if its on the actual DAT.

I would go with A as well. It made more sense when dat_student put the definitions up.

The answer is B (extinction) for sure, this is because at first the monkey did do a response but then no longer did it - extinction always refers to an action. Habituation is not the answer because with habituation there tends to be a lack of respone or just observance until they no longer seem to pay attention to it.

GUYS,,,its saying bell is rung every 2 mins for 2 days ... dont u think thats repeated exposure...c'mon now...its a monkey..it needs to eat sleep **** ...watever..haha..& the qt also says "at which time the monkey stops responding" meaning he stops responding sometime in the span of 2 days...it think its safe to infer that...anyways my pt is its repeated exposure for sure and thats why the monkey stops responding and thus its HABITUATION ...

allstardentist said:
DAT student, I think you should change ur name to DAT teacher now.

I love teaching. My gut feeling tells me you have a very good chance to get into UCLA SOD. :)

Guys its B, for sure. Habitutation refers to something like @ first a baby cries whenever its looking out a window & cars keep driving bye. The baby stops crying because of the repeated cars driving bye. The baby gets used to it.

gwest said:
Guys its B, for sure. Habitutation refers to something like @ first a baby cries whenever its looking out a window & cars keep driving bye. The baby stops crying because of the repeated cars driving bye. The baby gets used to it.

thats what exactly is happening in the question. so it A in my opinion