Bio Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentlove

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Suppose a slide containing 100 cells is made from a random sample of cells growing in a petri plate. The average time for a complete cell cycle to occur in the petri plate is 24 hours. 10 cells on the slide are in prophase, 3 are in metaphase, 6 in anaphase, 8 in telophase, and 73 are in interphase. How many hours, on average, does a cell in the petri plate spend in interphase?
a. 73 hours
b. 24 hours
c. 17.5 hours
d. 6.5 hours
e. One cannot tell from the information given

Can someone please explain the answer?

Members don't see this ad.

wow this is a weird question. This is what i think.

to start off they tell you 1 cell cycle is 24 hours so you immediately eliminate A. Mitosis only occupys a very small part of the cell cycle and the rest is interphase so you can eliminate B and D. Now its either C or E. IDk there doesnt seem to be that much info in the question to deduce what the answer could be. My best guess C or E.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it 90% of time in cell cycle interphase? This might bring you the answer D. My best guess:)

The answer choice is C because the cell spends the most time(for one cycle) in interphase. Campbell says about 90% but you can just use the fact that it spends most of the time to deduce the answer choice.

So with 1 cycle being 24 hours the only choice that would be a possible answer.

the cycle cycle consists of the G1, S, G2 then Mitotic phase. Interphase consists of G1, S, G2.

Mitotic phase as a whole is the shortest.

Last edited:
I remember that prophase is the longest and annaphase is the shortest during mitosis.

The answer choice is C because the cell spends the most time(for one cycle) in interphase. Campbell says about 90% but you can just use the fact that it spends most of the time to deduce the answer choice.

So with 1 cycle being 24 hours the only choice that would be a possible answer.

the cycle cycle consists of the G1, S, G2 then Mitotic phase.

Mitotic phase is the shortest. Within the mitotic phase, metaphase is the longest.

I believe this is what they wanted you to deduce from that question: If at any give time, approximately 73 % (round to 75 for quick math) of the cells are in interphase. This can lead you to assume about 75% (3/4) of the time is spent in this cycle. 75% (or 3/4) of 24 hours is approximately 18. Now, just go slightly below that since it was actually 73 to get your answer of 17.5.

I concur with PrinceJ

If 73/100 are in Interphase that would mean 73%. 73% of 24 hours is 17.52.

Cool Mnemonic for the Cell Cycle:

"Go Sally Go, Make Children"

G1
S
G2
M
Cytokinesis

You will never forget it lol. Then just understand that the cell spends 10% in Mitosis and 90% percent in Interphase. Prophase is the longest, Anaphase is the shortest stage in Mitosis.

For this certain question though, PrinceJ and Shockas already explained it.

:thumbup: