BIO question(s)

Started by iiiimonica
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

iiiimonica

4 eyes on me
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey y'all!

I am trying to decide between the Welch Allyn 125 and the Heine 500. My question is about the Welch Allyn - does it have the three filters built into it (red-free, cobalt blue and yellow) or do you have to attach them seperate? They have the older Welch Allyn's in pre clinic (I think!) and I can't rememeber seeing the 3 different filters. Alos any advice on hand held lenses would be greatly appreciated🙂


Thanks!
😍
 
I cannot think of any situations where I have been in dire need of the filters on my BIO(I have a Heine Omega 180). In fact, more often than not, I prefer to use one of our spec mounts we have around the office in lieu of my bulky headmounted BIO. I just pop out the lenses in the spec frame and away I go.

As for BIO lenses, my favorite is the 25D lens. I learned this from a retina guy I used to work with. It is a great balance between mag and field of view. My next favorite is a 28D lens. I have found that since I dilate every routine patient with pyramyd I can get out quite a ways with a 28 even if I only have a 6-7mm pupil. My next choice would be the Volk 2.2 and lastly the 20D. Just my opinion, but I have tried them all. I would suggest purchasing a 150-160 degree contact fundus lens as well. They are expensive($500 or so) but they are great when you have a patient that is not cooperating with scleral depression or a three mirror lens when you want peripheral views. Let others say what they will, but I use my BIO 12-15 times per day and these have proven effective tools for me.

POsner
 
does anyone have any expereince with the digitial wide field or digitial high mag from volk?