Bio question..see if you can answer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thefifthbeatle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a bacteria in a bucket of water that doubles every 1 min. At 20 min, the bucket is full of bacteria and therefore there is no room for reproduction. At what time is the bucket HALF FULL?

I know the answer, just see if you know...it's a good thinking problem.

Members don't see this ad.

There is a bacteria in a bucket of water that doubles every 1 min. At 20 min, the bucket is full of bacteria and therefore there is no room for reproduction. At what time is the bucket HALF FULL?

I know the answer, just see if you know...it's a good thinking problem.

PD3 is 100% right 19 mins
because in next minute(20th minute) it will be twice and full bucket.

PD3 is 100% right 19 mins
because in next minute(20th minute) it will be twice and full bucket.

Exactly!!! Most people say 10 min....This is trickery!!!!!! (I even had someone seriously say 13 min once.....13 min!!???)

Members don't see this ad :)
1min.....2min.....3min.....4min.....5min....6min.....7min.....8min.....9min.....10min
2.........4..........8.......16.........32........64......128......256.......512......1024

11min.....12min......13min.......14min......15min......16min.......17min.......18min
2048.......4096........8192.......16384.......32768.....65536......131072......262144

19min.............20min.

1048576 / 2 = 52488 which is 19 mins

:thumbup:good question

i thought it was so easy and did it really fast and picked 10 and then read 19 and stopped to think and was like ohhhh yea! :idea:

lol gotta slow down and actally think for a second sometimes otherwise these tricks will get you:smuggrin:

good questions though! thanks for the post :)

Not a bad question, but you do realize that it is more of a math question than a bio question right?

I have a question for you all?

What is 4.5 hours long, makes life literally hell, consists of 6 God damn sections and makes people go psychotic?

I'll sell my soul if anyone can get it right?

Not a bad question, but you do realize that it is more of a math question than a bio question right?

Well yeah, it could also be a chem half life type question. Half goes away each minute.....instead of doubling every minute

Another "BIO" one

A doctor gives a patient two bottles of pills with two pills inside of each of them (total of 4 pills). The patient must have one of each today, and one of each tomorrow or face death. Although they look, feel, taste, and smell EXACTLY alike, they have much different medications in them. The clumsy patient drops ALL four on the ground by accident after getting home and they are randomly mixed up. He picks up all four and has no idea which two to take today and two to take tomorrow. How will he take his proper medication??

I'd like to change my answer to panic, go to a titty bar and strangle a hooker.