BIO questions

Started by ODduck
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ODduck

Future Oregon OD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok, I searched this site for BIO questions and while they were somewhat helpful, I could still use some clarification.

I would love to get a Heine or Keeler, they seem like they are good quality. However, even with my federal/Grad PLUS loans, they are well out of what I can pay and honestly at this point I just want (need) to buy what I can find at the cheapest price as long as there isn't a HUGE dropoff in quality/functionality.

What does everyone know about Topcon? What is the difference between the ID-10 and the ID-5? I am finding ID-5's on ebay that are like new and only $500+shipping. Would I be hampering myself by getting that over the WA model for $900?

How about Propper? One of my professors called it a "poor man's Heine". What are some opinions on this brand?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
 
Ok, I searched this site for BIO questions and while they were somewhat helpful, I could still use some clarification.

I would love to get a Heine or Keeler, they seem like they are good quality. However, even with my federal/Grad PLUS loans, they are well out of what I can pay and honestly at this point I just want (need) to buy what I can find at the cheapest price as long as there isn't a HUGE dropoff in quality/functionality.

What does everyone know about Topcon? What is the difference between the ID-10 and the ID-5? I am finding ID-5's on ebay that are like new and only $500+shipping. Would I be hampering myself by getting that over the WA model for $900?

How about Propper? One of my professors called it a "poor man's Heine". What are some opinions on this brand?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

The ID-5 is a basic BIO with no added filters or lenses. One of my friends who uses it at his job says that you also see the filament when performing BIO on a patient. (there are ways around this, but you need to modify the lamp a bit)