Biochem and Organic ll in spring

Started by pwnedu
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pwnedu

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My schedule requires that I take physics 2, biochem 1, and organic 2 this spring. No way out of it - have to do it. I am extremely worried about it to the point that I can't sleep at night. Before you guys tell me how I'm screwed (like I don't already know), please consider that this will only make it tougher for me. My questions are:

1. Is it even possible to comprehend biochem without having had orgo 2? I just finished orgo 1 and made an A...

2. Has anyone else done this successfully or known anybody else that has?

3. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
 
well since i'm the master biochem student who can do no wrong...lol...


i think as far as the orgo II w/ biochem I issue is concerned, it probably depends on your biochem course. for me, i couldn't have done it b/c my biochem course depends too much on the mechanisms and reactions covered in organic II. but my biochem course has an Orgo II prereq. if yours doesn't, then you should be fine.
 
It does have org 2 as a prereq (of course) - and normally I wouldn't be able to enroll for the class, but I'm a grad student so the department is letting me do it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My biochem class this year didn't require you to know anything from Organic....anything that was from Organic, our teacher went over it again. You can totally do it!! (especially if you are good enough in organic to get an A hah)
 
I had that same schedule and I made it through. I had to work so I didn't get As in everything, but I'm it can be done. At UCSD, they only require you to have one quarter of organic before you take biochem so maybe that won't be a problem either. Can you talk to your professors or start researching tutors/study groups now?
 
idk how i feel about this b/c i got A's in both orgo classes and i'm strugglin' in biochem, just sayin' 😉

Yeah I guess it all depends on the teacher you have. I made C's in both organics 😳 but I'm doing pretty well in Biochem. My organic teacher was terrible!!! It was a nightmare
 
I have the same schedule! Worst part is it is only for one school..if they reject me then it was all for nothing (money being the biggest issue). On the otherhand I was accepted to SGU. Yay!
 
Neither of my two biochem classes utilized much of any kind of Ochem material. And yes, they had ochem as a pre-req.
 
idk how i feel about this b/c i got A's in both orgo classes and i'm strugglin' in biochem, just sayin' 😉

me too 🙂 yay for orgo I and II getting 4.0's in and biochem I and II getting 2.5's in.. nothing like messing with your GPA 😀
 
My schedule requires that I take physics 2, biochem 1, and organic 2 this spring. No way out of it - have to do it. I am extremely worried about it to the point that I can't sleep at night. Before you guys tell me how I'm screwed (like I don't already know), please consider that this will only make it tougher for me. My questions are:

1. Is it even possible to comprehend biochem without having had orgo 2? I just finished orgo 1 and made an A...

2. Has anyone else done this successfully or known anybody else that has?

3. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

I had the exact same schedule Orgo I lab, Orgo II, Biochem I, Physics II, Physics II Lab and a few other liberal arts classes. I got all A's and B's that semester too. So, no 4.0, but not bad. You can definetly do it!! Good Luck!!! :luck:
 
I was in that boat last year. I wouldn't do it again for a million bucks, but I got through it (by what felt like the skin of my teeth) and I'm in vet school right now, so don't think it's not possible. Especially if you've done well in Ochem.
 
I have a similar schedule for next semester....Orgo II with lab, Physics II with lab, and Micro with lab. Taking Biochem right now and it sucks. My prof is tough and the average for most his exams is between 45-55. The Biochem I'm in only required Orgo I so I guess it just depends on how the course is taught at your school.

Good luck!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad