Biochem/Genetics Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

xXIDaShizIXx

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know something similar has been asked before, but I want a specific answer. I am going to take general physics in the summer and I'll then be done with all of the basic premed requirements. Some of the schools I am applying to require biochemistry and/ or genetics. At my school biochemistry is only offered in the fall. Genetics is offered in the fall and spring, but it is late in the evening and has a lab, while biochemistry doesn't have a lab. I intend to take the MCAT in January or February of next year. I can take biochemistry in the fall and take genetics during the semester I am taking the MCAT or I can take genetics, but will have to wait until my last semester (fall 2013) to take the biochemistry class and consequently won't have before I apply to medical school. I do admit that biochemistry fits better in my schedule for this coming fall semester (the rest are psychology classes), but I will take genetics if it will be more beneficial. So guys what do you think? If I need to elaborate on something let me know! Thanks!
 
Take biochem in the fall and genetics in the spring. By the time you sit for your MCAT you will have covered the genetics material that will be tested (Punnett squares, Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium, inheritance patterns, etc). All of the micro-level genetics that is fair game (mutations, mitosis, etc) should be covered in biochem.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Take biochem in the fall and genetics in the spring. By the time you sit for your MCAT you will have covered the genetics material that will be tested (Punnett squares, Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium, inheritance patterns, etc). All of the micro-level genetics that is fair game (mutations, mitosis, etc) should be covered in biochem.

Its really going to depend on how your biochem class is taught. I took biochem from our chemistry department and then one from our biology department and they were completely different. The chemistry one covered all the metabolism stuff, proteins, enzymes kinetics, etc and the biology one covered the biochemistry of replication, transcription, translation, etc.

If you take genetics in the spring and take the MCAT in January (I do not think its offered in February) I do not think you will have covered the stuff bolded above.

I think you would be best to talk to older students at your school that have taken these courses and see what they think. I do not think anyone on here is really going to give you a definitive answer because biochem, and intro to biology for that matter, is taught different all over the place.

Also, you do not need biochem before applying to medschool, you just need it, if its required, before matriculating.

IMO, take whatever fits best in your schedule because either way you will be teaching some of it to yourself regardless.
 
Its really going to depend on how your biochem class is taught. I took biochem from our chemistry department and then one from our biology department and they were completely different. The chemistry one covered all the metabolism stuff, proteins, enzymes kinetics, etc and the biology one covered the biochemistry of replication, transcription, translation, etc.

If you take genetics in the spring and take the MCAT in January (I do not think its offered in February) I do not think you will have covered the stuff bolded above.

I think you would be best to talk to older students at your school that have taken these courses and see what they think. I do not think anyone on here is really going to give you a definitive answer because biochem, and intro to biology for that matter, is taught different all over the place.

Also, you do not need biochem before applying to medschool, you just need it, if its required, before matriculating.

IMO, take whatever fits best in your schedule because either way you will be teaching some of it to yourself regardless.

Well it is a senior level class and I will be a senior at that time. There won't be people that are older than me to talk to. We only have one biochemistry class that is always taught my one professor ( the premed adviser). And yes I would only have one week of genetics before I took the MCAT so that wouldn't help either.
 
Is there a syllabus posted online? If so, first check out the MCAT preview guide (p.25-29) to see which genetics topics are covered on the test and later see when those are taught in your class.

I know the above link is for the 2015 exam but it's the only explicit content list that I could find after a brief search.
 
No they dont allow us to have access to the syllabus prior to class. From what I hear the professor likes wrote memorization instead of application of concepts.
 
neither biochem nor genetics are prerequisites to the MCAT. You should have learned all of these related topics in bio intro courses. Take whichever class best fits your schedule imo. You do not need to have all of these classes done by the time you apply, by the way, it's by the time you matriculate.
 
I know they arent required, but I will take at least one before the test and I was simply wondering which was more beneficial.
 
Well my college is a small state college that only offers A&P 1&2 for nursing students. and its a sophomore level class. So any other ideas? Cell Biology, Microbiology, or something like that?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well my college is a small state college that only offers A&P 1&2 for nursing students. and its a sophomore level class. So any other ideas? Cell Biology, Microbiology, or something like that?
You've taken a Bio 1 & 2 sequence I assume then? My school only offers a principles course and then we can choose from upper level bio's for the second semester. I took Cell Bio and thought it was a great choice, though I haven't taken the MCAT. I learned a lot and I believe I've seen it recommended over micro on here. Wait for additional opinions for sure.
 
Yes I have already had Principles of Biology 1 & 2. I Still will take both genetics and biochem before graduation and I can squeeze one more biology class in, so other opinions guys? Cell sounds good. Also not to mention it is taught by the same person I will take biochemistry with as well.