biochem help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help with biochem. i have an exam tomorrow, and i'm having a problem with calculating the lengths of polypeptides. so here's question 1.

Calculate the length in nanometers of a polypeptide chain containing 105 a.a. recidues if a) it exists entirely in alpha helical form, or b) if the backbone bonds are fully extended and linear.

question 2:
The polypeptide chain of a given protein is alpha-helical in some segments and has the beta conformation in others. The protein has a MW of 240,000 and a contour length of 506 nm. Calculate the fraction of the molecule that exists in the alpha helical configuration.

i think i'm ok with everything else, but for some reason, how to calculate the lengths appears to elude me.

Members don't see this ad.

hey,

each aa is 1.5 angstroms in an alpha helix, so 105 residues X 1.5 angstroms, and u have your length for that helix. If it was straight, then it would be 3.5 angstroms per residue (assuming the chain was part of a parallel beta sheet; i dont flat out know the true length if it was stretched out but u could find that out in a book somewhere).

It's in your book somewhere, like the above poster said. I tried to forget stuff like that as soon as I could.

The pitch of the alpha helix is 0.54nm, isn't it? and at 3.6 residues/turn, then it's 105 aa*0.54nm/3.6 aa.
The straight chain... that's just a straight multiplication. Numbers should be in the book.