1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Biochem Help

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by altoid breath, Aug 9, 2011.

1. altoid breath

Hi everyone, I have a question about how much biochem to take before applying to dental school. I have 4 semester hours and it seems that is sufficient for most schools.

Earlier this year I was checking the pre-reqs for my state school and they required 6 hours. I checked it again last week and they now require only 3 hours. I planned to take an extra biochem class this fall to get the 6 hours, but now that they changed it back to 3 I really don't want to.

I am just concerned that they will change it back to 6 hours whenever they feel like it. This coming semester is the only time I will be able to take the class, but it honestly seems like a lot to go through for only "maybe" needing that much biochem. (I work full-time and have a full load of classes).

Any thoughts or suggestions? Would you suck it up and take another biochem class, or just forget about it? Sadly I am not a huge fan of the subject, so I might be making a rash decision about not taking it.
    Thanks for you help

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Philippines03j

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    If you are worried about it just call up the school and explain to them that you have 4 biochem credits. You noticed before they required 6 and now the website says 4. Let them know that you just want to confirm that this is correct.

They will probably say yes this is correct...(1) we recently changed our requirements.(2) there was a typo on the website which we fixed.

4. amdrocks

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    What kind of biochem class did you took?
    Is it a survey of biochem or biochem 1?

5. altoid breath

thanks for your suggestions. i did actually call them, and all they said was that pre-reqs are subject to change at any time. i am thinking i just have to take the extra course. sucks, but i should probably cover all bases. i am just worried about getting a B....biochem is not my strong suit.

to amdrocks: i took biochem I and lab (both 300 level), my school just added an advanced biochem course which is what i am thinking of taking.

6. amdrocks

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Does your school have Biochem II? The advanced biochem lecture you are talking about is probably more advanced than Biochem II.
    Your lab only counts one hour? I had two biochem labs that counted for six hours. Lecture itself counts another six hours.

7. woof44

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    are you talking about SIUE? I went through this same process. The requirements was 3, and then it was 6. Had 3 credit hours of biochem, then had to squeeze in another biochem class. And then at the end of the semester I saw they changed it back to 3. Sucks. Just hoping it makes my application a little stronger with another biochem

8. Logs

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    which school requires 6 hours of bio chem? Most schools I applied to just strongly recommends it last I checked. Some required it but it was just 3 hours. I am taking Biochem I this fall.

9. altoid breath

The advisors at my school told me the class called "advanced biochem" (chem 351) is basically biochem II. Not sure if I trust them but that is the only other biochem class I can take. I took a 3 hour lecture and 1 hour lab so far. This would be a 3 hour lecture. I think I will probably go and talk to the instructor to see if the material is manageable for me. I wish I had as many lab hours as you!!!

10. altoid breath

Yep I am talking about SIUE. It was the only school I saw with that much required biochem! I really want to go there since I live around there, but ughhhh more biochem!?!? hahah

Good to know that you just went ahead and took an extra class, I am thinking I will too just in case.