Biochem Lab - Med School Prereq??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gametime85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if Biochemistry lab is a required prerequisite for medical school. I have already taken a biochemistry class, but have not taken the separate lab portion. Is this required? Highly recommended? Does it even make a difference?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not required for most schools, unless you need the lab to make up the required class/lab hours, which you probably don't.

I've heard there are a couple of schools that require biochem, but I don't know if they require the lab as well.

Some undergrad schools don't offer a Biochem lab so the med schools that require Biochem, say that lab is required only if your school offers it.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a biochem lab? o_O

I've never heard of a medical school requiring a biochemistry lab. A few require you take the lecture, still more recommend you take the lecture, but I can't think of any that need to see the lab on your transcript.

I don't think any require the lab. My biochem class had a lab...half were dry-labs and half were wet-labs