Quantcast

biochem or genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medmom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Is it more usedfull to have biochem or genetics before you take the MCAT?
medmom

Funkdoctor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
medmom said:
medmom

I will also be taking the MCAT next year and from what many have posted onthis site the MCAT biological section is heavy with genetics questions. O-Chem 1 is a pre req to biochem and from what others have posted O-Chem is hardly hit on the MCAT.

internetwop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
genetics for sure-my test had lots o' genetics questions. not so much biochem, just the general o chem that you need to know.

hamandcheese

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Take both classes...biochemistry and genetics will both come in handy throughout the MCAT.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
medmom said:
medmom

Genetics

Genetics

Genetics

In 2003, several organic chemistry problems were removed in favor of genetics.

The 2 most important classes for the biology MCAT are genetics and human physiology. Biochemistry would come in 3rd.

ping1050

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would say that it completely varies with the test form and administration. In april 2005, there was HEAVY biochem and organic on both my form and one of my buddys (very few genetics Qs). It seemed like every other page was something from Biochem 2 involving statins/HMG-COA cholesterol/liver action wrt chylomicrons etc... The August MCAT was not at all similar. In fact, I only was able to use biochem for some amino acid structures (one or two Qs). It was indeed mostly genetics. Its pretty much a crapshoot between administration and also test forms. Biochem is a great class though.

UCLAunderdog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is anatomy for the MCAT. Would you (anyone) take anatomy over biochem?

Thanks

hamandcheese

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
UCLAunderdog said:
How important is anatomy for the MCAT. Would you (anyone) take anatomy over biochem?

Thanks

No...you don't need anatomy. And definitely do not take anatomy over biochem.

Nate

Missing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Genetics is more useful for the MCAT but Biochem is more useful to have going into med school. Take both is you can

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UCLAunderdog said:

Thanks

No---anatomy in college is useless for the MCAT.

You need a human physiology course.

"Anatomy & Physiology" is commonly only take by those going into allied health. If there is an actual "Gross Anatomy" course, then it could be helpful for medical, but not the MCAT.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nate said:
Genetics is more useful for the MCAT but Biochem is more useful to have going into med school. Take both is you can

I agree that biochem is way more useful than genetics for medical school.

FutureDocDO

1K Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Genetics. If you have time take Biochem as well. It can only help.

UCLAunderdog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info.

I actually have one more question for you, my school offers a lower division gentics and an upper division Human genetics class, which would be more beneficial for the MCAT? any difference.

I would prefer to take the upper division class because I need the upper division units, but would this class not be broad enough for the MCAT. Any input would be appreciated.

czyja

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I suspect the upper division course might be more useful. Lower division genetics is not much of anything, especially when taken post general biology. Furthermore, it is my understanding that adcoms rather like upper div science course - shows you can use yer noggin...