Biochem requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harmand3r

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I never took Biochem and I graduated in december 2013 (finished half a year early so I could just focus on my MCAT for the last few months). Some of the schools I'm looking at require Biochem. So my question is how strict is this requirement? I took two semesters of Orgo while some of these schools only need one so could that second Orgo class fill in for the Biochem class or should I just not bother to applying to schools that have the biochem requirement.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

most people suggest that you don't use a picture of yourself, btw.

if they require biochem... then they require biochem and will likely disregard any app that doesn't have biochem in the transcripts.

orgo is nothing like biochem.. (well i mean it's all related.. but not the same). i highly doubt that it will count ANYWHERE.

don't bother applying to any school that REQUIRES biochem. or contact them and ask them what you're asking us. but you better have a stellar app if you are going to try and get them to waive a REQUIREMENT (if that is even in the realm of possibilities).

You can still apply to schools that have this requirement and possibly get an acceptance, you absolutely must complete the course before you matriculate though (I believe there are exceptions to this, though)

Members don't see this ad :)
I listed Biochem as a planned course, as I also didn't take it during undergrad. You're kinda cute, but you still shouldn't use a picture of yourself ;)

I listed Biochem as a planned course, as I also didn't take it during undergrad. You're kinda cute, but you still shouldn't use a picture of yourself ;)

I'm in the same boat, actually. I created a thread earlier asking about biochem. Now I gotta figure out where to take this class...gonna be costly either way since the cc around here doesn't offer it.

Listing biochem as a current/future course would likely fulfill the requirement, but since it is a requirement they may request proof that you completed it.

Listing biochem as a current/future course would likely fulfill the requirement, but since it is a requirement they may request proof that you completed it.

I know. I just figured it might at least get me past a screen. It is what it is, though, I am going to take it...

I know. I just figured it might at least get me past a screen. It is what it is, though, I am going to take it...
it probably will. when in doubt, call the school directly and ask if your application will still be viewed if you have a required course listed on your transcript as current/future. good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Fair enough, thanks for the advice guys (about the avatar and biochem lol). Much appreciated.

Was already thinking I should just rule out the schools that require biochem and this helped confirm that. Plenty of other schools who don't require it