Biochem Study Guides/Web Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bellai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend study guides or websites for Biochem they've used in the past? I'm struggling with peptide sequencing and our textbook is awful. Any help, ideas, or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

ok, why not the prof? he may be as awful as the text, or maybe he at least has some clue what he's talking about and on top of that, knows exactly what he expects you to know! i often get myself very confused referring to outside sources... wait, do we need to know that? what the hell is that? that's not what i thought that meant....

or maybe that was my roundabout way of saying "i'm completely useless to you; i don't know any web resources." lol, sorry!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took biochem this fall and really thought our text and professor were horrible... in my quest to find some help online, I stumbled upon the course website for biochem at purdue and found it to be extremely helpful (though a little basic, but that was great for me...) It has every lecture posted as well as supplemental links as well as their quizzes and exams (with answers) I basically taught myself through their course and then took the exams at my school about a thousand miles away and managed an A- :) The only thing bad thing was that site didnt get into nitrogen fixation and cell signaling, which were the last few topics that we covered in my class...

maybe you will find it as helpful as I did :)

http://www.chem.purdue.edu/courses/chm333/

Good luck!!

ok, why not the prof? he may be as awful as the text, or maybe he at least has some clue what he's talking about and on top of that, knows exactly what he expects you to know! i often get myself very confused referring to outside sources... wait, do we need to know that? what the hell is that? that's not what i thought that meant....

or maybe that was my roundabout way of saying "i'm completely useless to you; i don't know any web resources." lol, sorry!
Hiya,

It's a distance learning course so the Prof and I are separated by a 6 hour drive.

Can anyone recommend study guides or websites for Biochem they've used in the past? I'm struggling with peptide sequencing and our textbook is awful. Any help, ideas, or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I highly recommend "Instant Notes in Biochemistry" (Instant Notes series) - it's a book and I used it as my sole biochemistry book, supplementing my lecture notes. I heard our recommended text was awful. (I'm talking about vet school biochem, not undergrad...can't remember the undergrad book).