Biochem Woos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyclopropane

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Hope you'll are surviving ;). I need some advice +pity+ for my pre-pharm track. I got through biochemI okay first quarter. However, this quarter biochemII tough. There are too many pathways and enzymes to remember!!

I already got below a C on one midterm (I wasn't prepared). I hope to get at least a B on the next one. How will a C look on my transcript for biochemistry for CA pharmacy schools? I already have a B- for organic chem.

Heh, this is a little similar to one of the pre-req gpa threads..

Any input?

Cyclopropane

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about Ca schools and whether they look at biochem or not.

At UF, they don't look at the grade because it is not a prerequisite.

Biochem is hard and it is still hard the 2nd time around in pharm school. Try to learn all those pathways, enzymes, inhibitors, etc.

Check out this website. It shows what school require what class. Oh ya maybe this might help you a bit or two. This is something I pick up for biochem for the TCA cycle. Officer Can I Keep Selling Sex For Money. It's oxaloacetate. Citrate. Isocitrate. a-Ketoglurate... and so on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sample biochem multiple choice:

In glycolysis, fructose-6-phosphate is phosphorylated by 6-phosphofructo-1-kinase to yield fructose-1,6-bisphosphate.

A) This reaction is the energy commitment step for glycolysis to proceeed.

B) 6-phosphofructose-1-kinase is allosterically activated by fructose-2,6,phosphate

C) 6-phosphofructo-1-kinase is allosterically inhibited by ATP and citrate

D) 6-phosphofructo-1-kinase is inactivated by protein kinase A

E) 6-phosphofructo-1-kinase is activated by glucagon and epinephrine.

The correct answer is A, B, C. You are not told how many correct answers there are. The question is worth 3 points. You get 1 point for putting A, another for putting B, etc. If you put D or E, you get -1 point for each letter. Some students checked all the answers because you were at least guaranteed 1 point that way.

I got a whopping 71% on that test, even though I'd already had biochem. I am so glad that class is over.

Hey Dana and SpitFiR3,

Thanks for the encouragement. I just took a biochem midterm and did fairly well. It looks like I be trudging through the class the rest of the quarter :rolleyes:. The good thing is that I'm starting to find it really interesting now, and that keeps me studying.

Cyclopropane

*Time to party! I just turned 21 a few days ago. I'm going to try a few drinks..heh :hardy: