Biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MystiqueOX

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I have a question about taking Biochem courses... I already took a general biochemistry course (Biochem 1), so is it good to take another biochem course during my 2nd Bachelors program? If so, is it better to take a Biochem 2 or a Biochem Lab??? I think some med schools, e.g. UC Irvine, requires Biochem Lab, right? But, is it absolutely necessary, I've always hated lab. Thanks!!!
 
MystiqueOX said:
Hi! I have a question about taking Biochem courses... I already took a general biochemistry course (Biochem 1), so is it good to take another biochem course during my 2nd Bachelors program? If so, is it better to take a Biochem 2 or a Biochem Lab??? I think some med schools, e.g. UC Irvine, requires Biochem Lab, right? But, is it absolutely necessary, I've always hated lab. Thanks!!!

Hi,
When I was shadowing an orthopedic surgeron I ran into some medical students while waiting for the OR to get ready. They told me to definately take Biochem I and II. They were from UIC, and they had gone to UIC undergrad and Cornell. They said that you cover all that you learn from Biochem I in two weeks and spend the rest of the semester on Biochem II, but in much more depth. Pretty important. I know nothing about the lab, I don't think UIC undergrad even offers one.
 
cornell does not offer a lab component to its biochemistry class (for majors, both biochem and bio concentrations); there are upper level stand-alone lab courses in biochemistry, but certainly not part of the intro sequence (331/332)

i know of no medical schools which require biochemistry lab (and few require biochemistry lecture from what i have seen)

but i will second the opinion of others that biochem is important for any graduate study in the sciences

i dont know how your system delineates biochem I/II: we had protein chemistry, enzyme kinetics, and detailed metabolic topics in I, and then shifted to focus on dna/rna aspects of biochemistry in II.

if i were you, i'd take biochem II and leave the lab alone

by the way, if you know of any schools (md/do) which require biochem lab, please let me know