Biochem :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doinmybest5840

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my first biochem exam back and I got an 81. :( I've been so busy and tired from my interviews that I didn't have the energy to study as much as I needed... and now I'm worried that NSU will retract my acceptance if I end up with a B-. Does anybody know what the cutoffs are for taking back acceptances because of poor grades? I'm meeting with the professor Monday to go over what I got wrong and try to catch up and understand everything, but I'm just really worried now. If I can get at least a B in each of my classes (realistically though, I will most likely have an A in my psych class, so it'd be 2 Bs and an A), should I be okay? Sorry to be Miss Paranoia here, but I'll be devastated if I go and ruin everything with a bad grade. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've read, schools don't seem inclined to reject someone after an acceptance unless they literally failed a pre-req or something. I have no experience in the matter, but since I'm not paranoid right now I would have to assume you are going to be ok.

Congrats on the acceptance btw! :)

Once you are accepted to a school, you can't miss any more questions on any assignment or test in any class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my first biochem exam back and I got an 81. :( I've been so busy and tired from my interviews that I didn't have the energy to study as much as I needed... and now I'm worried that NSU will retract my acceptance if I end up with a B-. Does anybody know what the cutoffs are for taking back acceptances because of poor grades? I'm meeting with the professor Monday to go over what I got wrong and try to catch up and understand everything, but I'm just really worried now. If I can get at least a B in each of my classes (realistically though, I will most likely have an A in my psych class, so it'd be 2 Bs and an A), should I be okay? Sorry to be Miss Paranoia here, but I'll be devastated if I go and ruin everything with a bad grade. Thanks so much!

I feel your pain. I got back a Comp. Anatomy exam with an 83.5. :scared: and a genetics test with an 83%. I hope they dont care about B's, or even a C possibly. It is my opinion that you will be absolutely fine with Bs or even Cs. I would stay away from the Ds and below. Still, I dont think they would take back an acceptance with only a single D and other good grades in a semester. Im hoping thats the case, because I have potential to get the 3rd C I have ever received in my life. :laugh:

It varies from school to school. For some it is an explicit C or better in all remaining courses. For some, a C or better in any remaining pre-requisite courses. For others it is more nebulous, like "in line with your previous academic performance."

Unless you are super-4.0 man, I doubt a B- is going to raise many eyebrows under any circumstances, especially if it is a single course and not a letter grade drop across the board for the semester.

Once you are accepted to a school, you can't miss any more questions on any assignment or test in any class.

Yeah I know someone who got partial points (9.5 out of 10) on a cell biology essay test question and had his acceptance retracted immediately. They had a live feed of the TA correcting the test directly to the ADCOM. He was notified within minutes.

Stop wasting your life on my forum.

Oy, I'm sorry guys. I'm just nervous... and it doesn't help that my mom's like "OMG IF YOUR GRADES GO DOWN AT ALL THEY MIGHT NOT TAKE YOU!!!" I mean, I know she has no idea how this entire process works, but it gets under my skin.

Your BCPM is a 3.1 so I'm pretty sure they already know you are a B- kind of girl.

Oy, I'm sorry guys. I'm just nervous... and it doesn't help that my mom's like "OMG IF YOUR GRADES GO DOWN AT ALL THEY MIGHT NOT TAKE YOU!!!" I mean, I know she has no idea how this entire process works, but it gets under my skin.

You don't have anything to worry about. Schools are not going to take away an acceptance b/c you get a B in a class, or even a C. Most likely, if you were to get a D, you would be fine, as long it is not a pre-req. I got a D in an engineering class and it didn't hurt me. So relax and enjoy your time before school starts.

I'll let texas-tri take this one...

Members don't see this ad :)

Atleast now we know where you get it from!!:D

Atleast now we know where you get it from!!:D
True, true. I take after my mom in that sense lol. I worry wayyyyy too much about way too many things. It can be pretty overwhelming at times.

Hey DMB. I noticed you decided not to go to the DMU interview. That's too bad. I was really looking forward to kind of knowing someone there. Congrats with Nova however!!

Hey t-funk, yeah I'm sorry about that. It would have been nice to hang out, but I don't really have the money, and although I heard it's a great school, I really can't see myself being happy there. Good luck to you though! I bet you'll nail the interview. :)

Hey t-funk, yeah I'm sorry about that. It would have been nice to hang out, but I don't really have the money, and although I heard it's a great school, I really can't see myself being happy there. Good luck to you though! I bet you'll nail the interview. :)

Thanks, I'm gonna try. I really get so nervous though. I'm already starting to get nervous. Good luck at all your other schools!!!

Don't get nervous! You clearly have what it takes, since you already got accepted somewhere. Just take a deep breath and remember: you're awesome! :-D Hahaha and thanks! I hope I hear back from them soon.

you do know that youre going to take that same class again once youve started at your med school right????
Yeah I know. Are you saying that I shouldn't be worried because I don't really need it, or I should be worried because if I don't understand it now I'll be screwed later? I didn't plan on taking it (hence taking it in my last semester), but it turned out that a few school I applied to required it, so I threw it in at the last minute.

I'm taking biochem this semester. I wasn't a bio or a chem major so most of this stuff doesn't come naturally and I've never really seen any of it before. I tried to push as many interviews as I could back so I could get through two tests without missing many days. I'm going to miss 2 full weeks between my 2nd and 3rd test and that freaks me out. I'm really glad I'm taking it now when it doesn't really matter as long as I pass.

Yeah, same here. I'm a psych major, and while I feel like I understand it, I just didn't have the time to prepare as well as I needed to. But like you said, hopefully as long as we pass we'll be fine. I think I should be able to pull off a B- or B at the lowest.

I'm taking biochem this semester. I wasn't a bio or a chem major so most of this stuff doesn't come naturally and I've never really seen any of it before. I tried to push as many interviews as I could back so I could get through two tests without missing many days. I'm going to miss 2 full weeks between my 2nd and 3rd test and that freaks me out. I'm really glad I'm taking it now when it doesn't really matter as long as I pass.

I can definitely understand where you are coming from. I have to miss quite a few days this semester and biochem is the class that will most likely take the largest hit. Add to that a serious case of senioritis. I have to literally peel myself out of bed every morning. The only thing that keeps me going is the possibility of not getting into a med program. If I have to reapply then it would be a wise thing for me to do well this semester. I know this sounds bad but once I get some acceptances under my belt, I will be out to just pass.:cool:

hey thats cool--i was a psych major too =]
im also enrolled in biochemistry right now, however im doing mine through UC Berkeley's Post Bac premed program...and im not applying to med schools this year cause my MCAT is so god-awfully embarassing. I am only going to apply when my application is the strongest I can make it.
But back to the whole "dont worry" notion I mentioned earlier; I was saying that if you hold something like a 'B-' in the course right now--you will be that much better versed in the material when you get your second exposure to it during medical school.
And if for some reason you don't think you're going to do great in it later on--then you might not have considered you will have even more preparatory classes such as molecular biology that will invariably help you out. I only mention this because I took molecular bio and when in combination with some principles from Gen Chem II, BioChem seems like a review of the two courses.
i probably sound all gaudy now though...just talk to me about my MCAT and ill turn silent in two seconds flat ;)