Biochemistry class before MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulpsychiatrist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my school offers biochemistry + biochemistry lab combined as one course. However, I am only finding this class offered with just lecture this summer. For applying to medical school this cycle and taking the MCAT would it look bad to take the class just lecture for credit at another school and then take it again in the fall at my school with lecture + lab. I really want to apply this cycle but this one class is holding me back.

Members don't see this ad.

So my school offers biochemistry + biochemistry lab combined as one course. However, I am only finding this class offered with just lecture this summer. For applying to medical school this cycle and taking the MCAT would it look bad to take the class just lecture for credit at another school and then take it again in the fall at my school with lecture + lab. I really want to apply this cycle but this one class is holding me back.

Does your degree require the biochemistry + lab course? If not, and the biochemistry course offered in the summer satisfies the requirement for medical school, then I see no reason for you to take it again in the fall. I do recommend taking a Biochemistry course prior to the MCAT since it will be helpful.

That being said, if you haven't taken the MCAT yet and are hoping to use the Biochemistry course as a way to study for it - you're in bad shape (with respects to time) if you're planning on applying this cycle since the application is already open, MCAT scores take a month to come back, etc.

Does your degree require the biochemistry + lab course? If not, and the biochemistry course offered in the summer satisfies the requirement for medical school, then I see no reason for you to take it again in the fall. I do recommend taking a Biochemistry course prior to the MCAT since it will be helpful.

That being said, if you haven't taken the MCAT yet and are hoping to use the Biochemistry course as a way to study for it - you're in bad shape (with respects to time) if you're planning on applying this cycle since the application is already open, MCAT scores take a month to come back, etc.

Yes my application is done I plan on submitting June without scores.

Members don't see this ad :)

My degree requires biochemistry + lab

Planning to take MCAT July 29 prepping starts tomorrow for a full 3 months

After you take your first diagnostic test, you should consider whether or not you should apply this cycle. The reason is that submitting it June 1st and then taking your MCAT and receiving your score nearly 3 months later is lethal because you'll be 'late' in terms of completed submission, and on top of that if you don't receive the score you desire, you've just wasted hundreds of dollars applying.

Also, that's only 2 months and 1-2 weeks of studying, may or may not be enough depending on your knowledge of content. Additionally, if you take the Biochemistry course over the summer, you'll also have your hands full such that you can't fully dedicate yourself to the MCAT.

My advice would be to not rush the MCAT, take it when you're feeling comfortable and can score well (510+) and if need be, take a gap year and apply next cycle.