Biochemistry in Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omarsanduka

Reaction score
I've just finished the biochemistry section from First Aid. I'm well-oriented overall but forgetting the names of some enzymes is inevitable considering the vast number of enzymes & substrates. I get that the general rule in studying for Step 1 is "seeing the forest for the trees" (i.e., understanding the broad concepts and not stressing on every single detail), but should I be expecting questions about the names of individual enzymes/substrates? Is it common to be tested on such information rather than the management and clinical findings of enzyme deficiencies?
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

From the practice questions/exams I've done, I've been asked about enzymes deficiencies/intermediate products and cofactors. While seeing the forest will tell you what the condition is, you need to know the details.

Reactions: 1 user
My biochem questions had almost been written as if they had FA open and asked themselves what they could test on that you needed to take a mental step beyond what FA states. Definitely need a deeper understanding of biochem than what’s in FA to answer all the q’s