Biochemistry Lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyesarecool

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the option of not taking a biochem lab with my biochem class. I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was on the difficulty of their biochem lab. Would anybody recommend not taking biochem lab for the sake of difficulty and the possibility of messing up their GPA, or would anybody recommend it based on their positive experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I have the option of not taking a biochem lab with my biochem class. I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was on the difficulty of their biochem lab. Would anybody recommend not taking biochem lab for the sake of difficulty and the possibility of messing up their GPA, or would anybody recommend it based on their positive experience?

My school doesn't even offer it, and no med school that I know of says it recommends or requires biochem with lab, but simply biochem. If the lab isn't required for your major there is no reason to take it if you don't want to.

biochem lab is typically offered separately from biochem lecture. i would recommend against taking it unless you are interested in it or is required for your major.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are reports. Don't take it if you don't have to. However, it definitely improved my gel loading abilities and pipetting abilities, haha.

This is the kicker. The class is not generally hard as it is time consuming. I had to write 15 page papers weekly for this class. That sucks up time. I found it interesting, but it really was kinda a repeat of General Bio lab, except that it worked this time :D.

I found biophysical chemistry lab to be much more interesting and less of a recap of material already studied.

My premed advisor said that med schools call the premed advising office if a student has biochem class on their transcript, and not the lab. They wonder what's up and why the student didn't take it.

At my school the biochem lab is a major time hog (20 page papers and such). Thankfully I'm on the degree track that was published before it became a requirement for my major.

biochem lab at our school is ridiculous as well. Papers are usually 10-15 pages each week and there is a midterm and final. Most people spend 5-6 hours in lab each week, then a couple hours on top of that writing lab reports....I probably shouldn't have picked this as my major