Biochemistry pathways on USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dangit

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just for background sake, I'm studying for the biochemistry shelf exam, but I figure since they're recycled USMLE question, the best way to study for the shelf is to study as if I'm studying for the boards.

So my question is, I'm using First Aid + RR to study and I'm wondering if I should memorize the pathways. I've searched for this but I've read conflicting responses, so I'm hoping someone can clarify. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Just for background sake, I'm studying for the biochemistry shelf exam, but I figure since they're recycled USMLE question, the best way to study for the shelf is to study as if I'm studying for the boards.

So my question is, I'm using First Aid + RR to study and I'm wondering if I should memorize the pathways. I've searched for this but I've read conflicting responses, so I'm hoping someone can clarify. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

i took the shelf ~1 year ago, but from what i can remember, yes, you need to be able to draw out all the big pathways and know the RLS cold.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
so should i be able to draw out ALL the pathways in First Aid?

oh, thanks to both you guys!

You don't need to memorize the whole pathway, but know which steps are important and any pathology that is associated with a malfunction in the pathway.

You need to have seen and understand all the overall pathways but you dont need to be able to draw it from scratch just be able to pick out items relative to others in multiple choice. I like to think about and focus on the important enzymes since that is where all the deficiencies are and for those focus on the related stuff, their regulation, their substrates, their products, their cofactors, different things that it commonly connects into.

If that's what we know, doesn't FA have it all in there? Why do people use Kaplan Biochem? Does it do a better job integrating information for you? I have 2.5 weeks until my test and my school has copies of Kaplan material but I'm not sure if I should use it.

Anyone have advice on this?

If that's what we know, doesn't FA have it all in there? Why do people use Kaplan Biochem? Does it do a better job integrating information for you? I have 2.5 weeks until my test and my school has copies of Kaplan material but I'm not sure if I should use it.

Anyone have advice on this?

I think the confusion might be that he's asking about the biochem shelf, not step one. Or am I misunderstood?

well, I'm a first year so I'm going to be taking the shelf soon, however, since the shelf is composed of recycled USMLE questions, studying for the shelf should be the same as studying for the boards.. or am i wrong for thinking this? is there a different way to approach studying for boards and the shelf exam?

well, I'm a first year so I'm going to be taking the shelf soon, however, since the shelf is composed of recycled USMLE questions, studying for the shelf should be the same as studying for the boards.. or am i wrong for thinking this? is there a different way to approach studying for boards and the shelf exam?

Yea well you know I think the biochem shelf is probably a little bit tougher and requiring more detailed study in some ways. It's similar content and question style though and technically anything you could find on the biochem shelf could be fair game for step 1

Yea well you know I think the biochem shelf is probably a little bit tougher and requiring more detailed study in some ways. It's similar content and question style though and technically anything you could find on the biochem shelf could be fair game for step 1

Shelf questions are retired USMLE step 1 questions.