Biochemistry Pre-Requisite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adameve

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it matter what kind of a Biochemistry course counts as a pre-requisite for medical school? Trying to decide between two biochem courses that are offered at my university (Biochemical Basis of Health & Disease vs Introduction to Molecular Biology)

There are some differences between the two courses, one is more biology-based course and the other is more biochemical concepts focused on physio, health, disease.

Members don't see this ad.

I would speak with your advisor, but I believe both should work. However, I would strongly suggest you take regular biochemistry that bio majors are required to take at your school as it will help you for the MCAT and then even more in medical school.

I would take something that says Biochem on it, otherwise it may not count as a prereq

Both the courses are biochemistry courses, BCHM 218 and BCHM 270. I have already written the MCAT, without taking any biochem courses at uni. I'm trying to fulfill the biochem pre-requisites that most medical schools ask for.