Biochemistry vs. Microbiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

punchdrunk7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to take one or the other. I have a class in my major that is taught during the same time as Biochem which I need for graduation but I can get notes from someone. So which is going to help me more in dental school? I know both are heavily tested, but I can only take one due to the amount of credits I already have. Thanks in advance:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not so sure borrowing someone's notes to get through Biochem is such a good idea. I know at my school, Biochem would probably be considered to be the most difficult of the upper levels. Having said that, I think more dental schools require/recommend biochem than micro. So assuming this is your last semester and you won't have an opportunity to take the other before d-school, I'd go with Biochem.

I will actually get the notes for the exercise science class, for sure I will attend Biochemistry. Thanks for the input, I think I will enroll in Biochemistry

Members don't see this ad :)
Micro was much more fun than biochem IMO. But if more schools want it that's what you have to do.

A little advice for biochem... this is totally up to you. But if you want to take a little stress off yourself I suggest over the break learning 20 amino acids and be able to list pathways for glyco. krebs and ECT. If you know these guys from rote it will make the class easier for you because they're really just the tools to start learning the subject.

It was a very stressful class for me.

I have to take one or the other. I have a class in my major that is taught during the same time as Biochem which I need for graduation but I can get notes from someone. So which is going to help me more in dental school? I know both are heavily tested, but I can only take one due to the amount of credits I already have. Thanks in advance:thumbup:

This is just my opinion about both courses, since I've taken them both.

Biochemistry, the upper level 400 type stuff, is 70% understanding concepts and 30% pure memorization

Microbiology, is about 90% pure memorization, and only 10% "concept".

What type of student are you? If your naturally good at classes like physics, high level math (linear algerbra, discrete mathematics, numberical analysis for example), p.chem..... then your going to love Biochem I

On the other hand, if you've always enjoyed to memorized a bunch of stuff and ace the test, then microbio is your best option.

Biochemistry will be more useful in my oponion. Microbio is also a good class to take... but, if I would have to pick I'll pick Biochem....

yeah, I would do biochem.
I thought I would hate the course, but it's been one of my favorites in undergrad. No I didn't get a 4.0 (4% of 730 students.. ) but I put in the work, it was pretty interesting, and did well nonetheless.