Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Biochemistry

Discussion in 'Dental' started by qwertyuiop, Dec 8, 2005.

1. qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop Junior Member

Hi. I am debating on taking Biochemistry before going to Dental School since it is now a requirement for some schools. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it has helped them out in Dental school. Will I benifit from taking the course now? Thanks for your input.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JavadiCavity

JavadiCavity DDS 2008
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I took it in undergrad, but it wasn't as detailed as it is in d-school. However, I would say that it has helped, although not as much as I had hoped.

4. JakeMUSC

5+ Year Member

I did not take Biochem in undergrad...biochem in dental school is very general and unspecific, as javadi mentioned. the class is a lot like my cell bio and molec bio classes from undergrad....only easier

5. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    Don't take it. As was stated, biochem in most dental schools seems to be quite watered-down. My undergrad course was much more difficult and intense than any biochem I saw in dental school. And, the Part I biochem topics are simply and more physiology or cell bio than any true biochem.

6. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I am taking Biochem with Anatomy & Physiology as a post bacc at UMass-Boston. They both seem to complement Biochem deals at the molecular and cellular level while Anatomy & Physiology at the tissue level. I asked around what Biochem was like at the dental school and the impression that I am under is that they cut out any theory and derivation and just focus on applying the knowledge. Looking at some of the sample curricula listed on various dental school sites, it seems that it is geared towards rote memorization (a la anatomy and physiology).

7. DrTacoElf

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Biochem here is like 100X easier than in undergrad.

8. Bonkers29

5+ Year Member

Wow... so Biochemistry in dental school is different than undergrad..?

I better drop that biochem class that I'm registered for next semester then!

9. crazy_sherm

crazy_sherm å♪▼æ╬‼▄·
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I think if you have a decent grasp of o-chem, you should do fine in biochem at dental school. I took a few biochem classes in undergrad, but that was like 7 years ago. Forgot absolutely everything, but studying o-chem again for the DAT has helped me more than anything for biochem now.

10. ncalcate

ncalcate Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'll give a different opinion here. I took biochem as an undergrad and it has definitely helped me in dental school. It is not that biochem is hard in dental school... but when you have 7 other classes (like Anatomy, Histology, etc.) to study for, biochem can be tough. I re-learned all the enzymes, structures, and controls of glycolysis/Kreb cycle in about 2 hours, while my classmates who hadn't taken biochem must have spent several hours. This allowed me to spend that extra time on other classes (Anatomy and Histology) and that was a relief.

As long as your biochem course focuses on human metabolism (as opposed to plants and lots of theoretical stuff), it should help you. But that's just my opinion.

11. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Dr. Hagar at UMB did mention that one of his former students found med school biochem so much easier after learning all the intermediates in Glycolisys and Krebs Cycle. So I'm taking his word for it. I mean what's the worst thing that could happen, not be relevant at all.

12. Happy2th

Happy2th Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Biochem in undergrad was MUCH more difficult than it was in dental school.

But be sure that you pay close attention in Biochem class and DON'T FORGET ANY OF IT. You'll use it every day in private practice and your life will just plain suck if you don't remember any of it. :rolleyes:

13. hokiedds

hokiedds Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Would a class in drug chemistry be more useful than biochem? I have room in my schedule for 1 elective and either class would fit my schedule...any thoughts?

14. hockeydentist

hockeydentist 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Consider taking classes that require no synaptical activity. Maybe basket weaving or jewlry making.

15. hokiedds

hokiedds Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I know that would probably be for the best, but what can I say...I'm a glutton for punishment.

16. crazy_sherm

crazy_sherm å♪▼æ╬‼▄·
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    If you had to take one, biochem would probably be more useful as its more basic and you can apply the concepts elsewhere. It's unlikely that your undergrad biochem class would cover something as specific as activated glycosidic bonds in sucrose for plaque formation, but you'll understand the concept.

17. Trookie

Trookie Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I actually took that course at VT (Dr. Wolfe's, yeah?). It has been completely useless to me for dental school. However, I enjoyed the class and found it informative. It also counts towards a chem minor at Tech, which also looks good. Oh, and it is also REALLY easy.

18. Trookie

Trookie Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I also took the easier 3000 level biochem course at VT. It was still a lot harder than the course here at VCU. I never went to class and did fine. However, I would still recommend taking it in undergrad if you can just because some schools require it. Tufts, for example.

19. Dukie

Dukie Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I did not take it as an undergrad and I really wish I had. Many of my classmates who took it before said it helped a great deal. They really assume a level of understanding coming in which several of us really just didn't have. I got through just fine, but I think it would have helped...

20. Rezdawg

Rezdawg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Take biochem...that was the class that gave me the most trouble during 1st semester. Thank god its over.

21. HuyetKiem

HuyetKiem Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    If you have a choice, take Clinical Biochem (not general biochem). Clinical biochem is prety much same as one in dental school.

22. boogaking

boogaking Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Biochem is not different in Dental School... Its just presented in a condensed manner... I guess its all depending on the school ..but I would have to say its just presented on a quicker pace... it's just fast!. Just remember...along with biochem ...you would be taking things like Histo, Gross, Dental Anatomy... plus a ****znicken of dental related courses...most in the same semeseter or quarter.... So taking it in advance would be helpful... I am telling you this from first hand experience... does it mean you will work less in them classes you took before.. who knows? But one things for sure... seeing it for the second time in Dental school is a lot better than seeing it for the first time..... same concept goes for those other courses you will see in your first two years....

23. DIRTIE

DIRTIE Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Our biochem was one month long integrated into a giant course, we had about 3/4ths of what was in my biochem in undergrad, the other fourth was in the cell biology section. Take cell bio and biochem, it will help a great deal.

24. Mustt Mustt

Mustt Mustt Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Biochem was one of the hardest class I took in the undergrad. I liked the class but I took it over the summer 7 week session and had to memorize those enzymes, intermediates, etc. in a short time, so I hated it. If you take it, take it in the regular semester. I hope it helps me in the Dental school becasue I spent hours studying for the class.