BIOCHM Metabolism Study Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTMed2008

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good study tips for learning the steps of the cycles of metabolism? i.e. TCA, beta Oxidation , Glycolysis... Any help would be appreciated! :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

go to your nearest online bookstore and order Lippincots illustrated biochem. get it shipped overnight. hold it. love it. sleep next to it. use it for biochem AND cell/molec

I find that drawing out the pathways over and over again are the only way to learn them. And then I'll add in notes next to each step, like where the committed step is, where the rate limited step is, which ones are allosterically regulated, which ones produce NADH, FADH or GTP/ATP.

I must have drawn out glycolysis, TCA and gluconeogenesis a gazillion times. And it also helps if you compare the irreversible steps in glycolysis to those steps in gluconeogenesis so you can really hone in on the differences.

Members don't see this ad :)
a dry erase board worked for me last year and I hate memorizing crap.

go through and write out just one 'part' of the big picture. erase one thing from each step (like each enzyme, substrate, whatever.) write them all back in over and over. then do it for what you didn't cut out the last time. them erase the whole thing and draw it several times and you'll be fine, I promise. this block makes sense in the fact that everything fits together and they have 2 or 3 lecutres at the end where they put it all together.

and as for all those cranial nerves you're getting right now, the dry erase board will be good for that too. draw out each nerve by itself including where it runs, ins and outs, name changes, what it does. draw it over and over again.

don't wait to long, otherwise this block will sneak up on you. ;)

(and why weren't you asking these kind of questions at mastory advisory??? :p)

Wait until amino acid metabolism :(

UTMed2008 said:
Does anyone have any good study tips for learning the steps of the cycles of metabolism? i.e. TCA, beta Oxidation , Glycolysis... Any help would be appreciated! :scared:
big fan of just drawing them over and over and over again. try and find patterns (ie, know that there are [i think -- this was last yr, give me an f-ing break] 6 steps to glycolysis; for TCA just draw a circle and put 8 spokes on it [thats how many metabolic intermediates there are] and so on).

and when you come to a quiz/test, just write it down again on the back of one of the sheets so you can always have it there for reference. after a while, youll at least memorize the muscle movements, leaving your mind plenty of free space to remember the more detailed crap, like what inhibits or stimulates the rate-limiting enzymes in TCA.