BioEngineering Courses to Fulfill Biology requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FantasticMrButtons

Reaction score
My school offers several bioengineering courses that, in my opinion, cover a large amount of standard biology. There is a tissue engineering lab that I was hoping would count towards the bio requirement for med school; in it, they teach you "cell biology laboratory techniques, including immunofluorescence, quantitative image analysis, protein quantification, protein expression, gene expression, and cell culture". Would this count? I'm hesitant to go towards standard bio labs because those fill up extremely quickly at my school and competing for spots is a really big pain.

Members don't see this ad.

My school offers several bioengineering courses that, in my opinion, cover a large amount of standard biology. There is a tissue engineering lab that I was hoping would count towards the bio requirement for med school; in it, they teach you "cell biology laboratory techniques, including immunofluorescence, quantitative image analysis, protein quantification, protein expression, gene expression, and cell culture". Would this count? I'm hesitant to go towards standard bio labs because those fill up extremely quickly at my school and competing for spots is a really big pain.
So many med schools require a year of General Biology with Lab that you would seriously decrease the number of med schools you could apply to by taking bioengineering, with the hope that substitution would work out. Further, Engineering coursework doesn't count in the BCPM category for AMCAS schools, so you'd have to go through an appeals process to have it recategorized. View a copy of the MSAR and see how many schools have no requirements or only recommend Gen Bio and count how many of your your potential target schools are on the list.

You can consider taking Gen Bio at another school (though not online), even a CC, and you'd be better off.

Reactions: 1 user