Biology II course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HenryH

AA-S
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This Fall 2007, I'm signed up to take Human Anatomy and Physiology. Does anyone know if dental schools (the vast majority) will accept this class as my second Biology credit?
Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

i am in the same boat. anyone can confirm?

I don't think so, they usually want the standard 2 semester bio sequence for science majors. A&P is somewhat different, maybe 10% overlap. (I've taken both)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think most will. Which semester are you trying to substitute it for, the Ecology/Evolution type one or the Cell/Systems type one? A&P is a good thing to have on your transcript though and will definitely help you with the DAT.

Each school is different, so you should contact your specific schools to find out. Some schools told me that they would accept a physiology course, while other schools said that I had to take the typical general biology 2 course (I ended up taking general bio 2 just to be sure that I pleased everyone). I recommend that you email the schools so that you have their response in writing, just in case they tell you one thing and then contradict themselves in the future.

However, if you are able to take A&P in addition to the general bio course, then it will make your application even stronger and prepare you better for dental school. I would've taken both if I had the time.

I took A+P I and it would not even transfer to another university, let alone dental school. I also called a couple of dental schools and they said that they would really like to see the classes separate, human anatomy and human physiology. If you want to take the sequence (you really need to) then you should do them separate. As far as for the second bio credit, I would tell you to take bio II then take the anatomy and phys. The more classes you take the better prep for D-school!