Biology Prereqs (Penn State undergrad students - help!)

Started by dms6005
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dms6005

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone!

I am currently completing my undergraduate degree in Kinesiology at Penn State and I need help with choosing biology courses for prereqs. The majority of PT schools say "general" biology, either 4 or 8 credits. How "general" do PT schools want the bios to be???? Here at penn state, we don't really have courses that are labeled as "general" (not 8 credits of it anyway). There is one course, Bio 110 (for any of you penn staters reading this) that covers pretty much everything and will be considered general bio. So for the schools that require only 4 credits of general biology, I will have no issues. The problem is when the second general bio comes in and I need 8 credits.
The courses here are weird. There isn't really a second level to a "general" biology. Can I just assume that pretty much any upper level course with the BIO label in front of it will count? (with the exception of our anatomy and phys, of course) For example, will PT schools accept microbiology, cells, genetics, or courses similar to that? I'm just not sure how picky schools are with their prerequisites.
I am seeking advice from anyone and everyone, but I would love it if a fellow penn stater would help me out!
Thank you!!!
 
In my experience, "general" means "any with lab." I took human bio before I took anatomy and had bio 101 on my spring schedule, and it worked for applications. If you have any doubts, email a course description to the programs you're applying to to make sure it'll satisfy the prereq.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
In my research, a lot of schools look for major level intro biology. For example, to apply at OSU a bio sequence should cover "Energy Transfer and Development Exploration of biology and biological principles; topics include cell structure and function, reproduction and development of plants and animals, bioenergetics, genetics, and evolution." I would recommend avoiding the "101" level bio sequence just in case a school requires the higher level. My two course sequence was entitled "biological sciences".

**Okay, so after writing that I decided to pop over Penn State's website. It appears that 110 is what I described above...but it's only a single course. Hmm. I would recommend talking to an advisor of some sort. Perhaps start with a bio or pre-health advisor at your school and then maybe get in touch with some schools you're interested in applying to. Also, if your school has a pre-PT club, I'm sure there are some knowledgeable members who could help. (Sorry, I couldn't really help out lol)
 
Bio 110 counts as Bio 1 and Bio 220-240W count as bio 2. Other classes might qualify as Bio 2 as well, but I am not sure.