Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Biology study tips????

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by ERMED, Aug 24, 2001.

1. ERMED

ERMED Junior Member

Hi

I am currently a premed student at UC RIverside. I am going to take my biology requirement for med school starting this coming quarter. This is the bio you should take for the mcat, you know the year requirement. DO you guys have any tips on how to study for this class to learn the material really good? Any tips will be really appreciated.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Djanaba

Djanaba Senior Member

Hey Eduardo, pick one forum and stick with it. People here get pretty unhappy with rampant cross-posting.

4. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member

here is how i study for bio classes.

attend lecture!!!! Most of what you need to know is from lecture. At least most bio profs are like that.

within a few days of class:
    Watch the video of the class if available, or tape it and listen to the tape. get stellar, complete notes. rewrite your notes incorporating stuff you missed and caught in the re run.
    study those notes over and over till you get the material. draw figures/tables or other good ways to memorize stuff.

hope this helps.

5. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Premed bio isn't that complicated. Flashcards work if you're not a natural memorizer. And just finding or really getting familiar with the textbook material.

6. L3slp

L3slp Junior Member

Hi,
    I actually found a Biology Coloring Book
    that was like the Anatomy Coloring Book that
    I had used previously. It sounds funny, but this was a great way to put together
    several intricate topics when just
    plain reading didn't help me. For example,
    the DNA synthesis, transcription, translation, RNA synthesis..... Photosynthesis and the Krebs cycle.....

It walks you through each step and I found
    it was a great SUPPLEMENT to the text as I studied.

It covers pretty much all of the "general"
    info. from a bio class.

I bought mine at Borders Books.
    Good luck!
    L3 :)

7. ckent

ckent Banned
    Banned

I find it useful to visualize biological concepts and imagine them going on in my body. A lot of biology is pretty fascinating if you think about it and an interest in the subject matter will help you do well in the class. Anatomy in medical school was funny for me because I tried to learn all the muscles on my body and was busy palpating them on the exam.