biology VS chemistry major

Started by mupreopt
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mupreopt

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a chemistry major.
When I started college in 2003, one of the professors said that for med school, the application pool were mostly biology majors but the acceptance pool were mostly chemistry majors. Is this also true for optometry school?
 
I doubt most schools even care. When I was looking at professional schools, medical schools had a huge jump in physics applicants for whatever reason.

As long as you have the required undergrad courses, your actual major will probably make little difference. Most of my classmates are biology majors, but we have chemistry, math, engineering, and plenty of other majors as well. I'm sure all of the other acceptance factors play a much larger role.
 
I am a chemistry major.
When I started college in 2003, one of the professors said that for med school, the application pool were mostly biology majors but the acceptance pool were mostly chemistry majors. Is this also true for optometry school?

from what ive seen, theres no difference and undergraduate doesnt really even matter if u do well in the prereq classes. There are multiple people in my opt class that were psych majors, a couple music majors, and business majors too. So honestly as long as you take the classes they require and you do well in them, and do well on the OAT, you'll be fine.