Biomaterials on part I of boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ncalcate

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My classmates and I are subjected to a biomaterials course in which we learn all the details about alginate setting times, water/powder ratios for gypsum products, the chemistry behind PMMA, and other stimulating subjects. Our prof likes to claim that this stuff is on the boards, but after skimming through the dental decks and talking with some 3rd and 4th years, it doesn't appear to be the case. On repeated occasions, the instructor has claimed that for die stone, you need to know that it requires a .23 water/powder ratio, and that this question "pops up on the boards all the time."

Is this stuff really on the part I boards, despite the fact that its not in the dental decks? Or this professor just blowing smoke?

Members don't see this ad.

ncalcate said:
My classmates and I are subjected to a biomaterials course in which we learn all the details about alginate setting times, water/powder ratios for gypsum products, the chemistry behind PMMA, and other stimulating subjects. Our prof likes to claim that this stuff is on the boards, but after skimming through the dental decks and talking with some 3rd and 4th years, it doesn't appear to be the case. On repeated occasions, the instructor has claimed that for die stone, you need to know that it requires a .23 water/powder ratio, and that this question "pops up on the boards all the time."

Is this stuff really on the part I boards, despite the fact that its not in the dental decks? Or this professor just blowing smoke?

Wasn't anywhere on boards in 2004.

ncalcate said:

Oh, I don't miss that class at all. If it's the same prof still teaching it, that means seriously nit-picky exams and the strictest attendance policy of any dental course in your 4 years. A small portion of that info did show up on the boards, but not in so much detail as you are taught. And some of it does make a bit more sense down the line when you actually start working with the materials in second & third years.

ncalcate said:

It wasn't on my boards--he's blowing smoke