Biomath BCPM, might sound stupid, but I'm not sure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohpues

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I need to take more BCPM courses to raise my science GPA, but I honestly can't tell if this looks like a science course or not.

It's under the category Biomath, but this is the description:

Course Description: Lecture, four hours; computer laboratory, two hours. Preparation: some computer programming. Requisite: Mathematics 32A. Designed for upper division science majors and biomedical graduate students. Survey of wide variety of topics in neurobiological modeling, current neuronal modeling systems. Development of skills to formulate and program one's own studies using IMSL mathematics subroutines.

It seems like there is a computer science basis, though it's biomath, so I really have no idea. There's also some bio involved I guess. The prereq required there is multivariable calc.

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, BCPM: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math. Sounds like your course is Bio and/or Math...

Members don't see this ad :)
ok good, because I know engineering and computer science do not generally count for it. here goes nothing!

... ALL of my engineering counted as BCPM... and I'm pretty sure CS counted as math.

...You may wanna get a second opinion on whoever told you engineering and cs aren't BCPM.

... ALL of my engineering counted as BCPM... and I'm pretty sure CS counted as math.

...You may wanna get a second opinion on whoever told you engineering and cs aren't BCPM.
I think you should get a second opinion if you're speaking about MD. It's pretty much common knowledge that engineering doesn't count.

As someone who's submitted AMCAS, I can tell you that it does count as BCPM... and how much more BCPM does it get than engineering btw?

Maybe a specifically engineering class like "Engineering topics" or something might not count, but the core classes of engineering are about as BCPM as it comes and defintely DO count toward BCPM.

Also, maybe it has to do with the way schools code things... for instance, the majority of my engineering classes weren't "ENGR" they were "MATH" "CHEM" "PHYS" <<< all of those definitely count toward BCPM.

...Or at least, they definitely did for my AMCAS.

It's called biomath. Its course description reeks of biology and applied mathematics (true to its name, sure enough). If either one of those by themselves don't scream BCPM, then I don't know what does

As someone who's submitted AMCAS, I can tell you that it does count as BCPM... and how much more BCPM does it get than engineering btw?

Maybe a specifically engineering class like "Engineering topics" or something might not count, but the core classes of engineering are about as BCPM as it comes and defintely DO count toward BCPM.

Also, maybe it has to do with the way schools code things... for instance, the majority of my engineering classes weren't "ENGR" they were "MATH" "CHEM" "PHYS" <<< all of those definitely count toward BCPM.

...Or at least, they definitely did for my AMCAS.
That changes everything because those courses weren't engineering courses. They were Math, Chemistry, and Physics courses that counted for your engineering degree.

Anyway, look here: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/131750/data/2011amcasinstructions.pdf.pdf page 38 outlines what is what. As you'll notice, engineering is separate, but if a course is offered with the prefix "Math," "Chem," "Phys," then they will count for BCMP.