Biomed Eng or Chem Eng for Premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what would be better for pre med, biomedical engineering or chemical engineering. I want a major that will get me a good job after college if I don't get into medical school. The obvious answer seems like biomedical engineering, but it seems like there aren't as many job opportunities for them, there starting salary is comparitivly small, and they aren't respected in the engineering community. I think chem engineers get a full 10k more than biomed in their first year. However, since medical school is my main goal, I also want a major that I can get decent grades in, in which case, biomedical engineering seems to be a bit easier than chemical. I sent an email to the college I'll probably be attending soon and they said the average BME gpa currently is 3.45, which seems high for any major at this large public college, especially engineering (comparison: average gpa for the biochemistry major is 3.4). With the mean GPA being 3.45, a very high gpa seems very possible with work. After looking through these forums I can see that many chemical engineers have a gpa which is much lower than either of these. Many have commented that it is the toughest engineering major. So I guess there is a trade off, job opportunities for higher gpa. Which should I choose? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

At my undergrad many of the BME biology courses were medical school requirements. I know that Chemical Engineering requires you to take chemistry and organic chemistry, but I don't think that it requires biology. So if you go the CE route you will have to take the biology courses in addition to engineering. I decided to attend medical school after becoming a Computer Science & Engineering and Mathematics double-major. Needless to say it was challenging to earn good grades in medical school prereqs while completing two degrees. Note that chemistry, organic chemistry, and biology were NOT required by computer science or mathematics. These were all extra courses.

The best major is the one you're most interested in, because if you're interested in something you tend to do well at it. Doing well means a good GPA, which improves your chances at getting into med school.

Do whichever one you like most. Everything else will work itself out for you. I'm sure you can get a good job with either degree.

And you're right, engineering tends to put out slightly lower GPAs... med schools don't overlook that fact.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering what would be better for pre med, biomedical engineering or chemical engineering. I want a major that will get me a good job after college if I don't get into medical school. The obvious answer seems like biomedical engineering, but it seems like there aren't as many job opportunities for them, there starting salary is comparitivly small, and they aren't respected in the engineering community. I think chem engineers get a full 10k more than biomed in their first year. However, since medical school is my main goal, I also want a major that I can get decent grades in, in which case, biomedical engineering seems to be a bit easier than chemical. I sent an email to the college I'll probably be attending soon and they said the average BME gpa currently is 3.45, which seems high for any major at this large public college, especially engineering (comparison: average gpa for the biochemistry major is 3.4). With the mean GPA being 3.45, a very high gpa seems very possible with work. After looking through these forums I can see that many chemical engineers have a gpa which is much lower than either of these. Many have commented that it is the toughest engineering major. So I guess there is a trade off, job opportunities for higher gpa. Which should I choose? Thanks

honestly.. take a major you can get a good gpa in and have alot of free time your junior year so that you can study for the mcat..
if that means majoring in something fruity.. go for it..
bme or chem engineering are all engineering i.e heavy mathematics and alot of things you really dont need or ever will need for medicine but good for a career..
however if you do decide to major in bme or chem enginnering you'll have likely built up enough physics know how to score very well on the mcat...
however do remember medical schools dont care what you major in

I think the job prospects are better for chem-e at the bachelors level.

If I were you though, I would major in something a little easier. Then, if you don't get into med-school, you could probably still get a masters in engineering as long as you have the pre-reqs (although I don't know for sure).

Many people have killed their GPA's going the engineering route, so if you do, make sure you really want to do it.

I think the job prospects are better for chem-e at the bachelors level.

Yeah, IIRC, BME graduates are beginning to saturate the job market. OTOH, there are a growing number of opportunities for BME as well.

I would also look at how good the BME program is at your school. Sometimes they are full of gunners and have no good professors, leading to an equation of pain that I don't think you want to deal with. Chem E is more established.

As for me, I'm EE so whatever floats your boat. I thought it was fine and not as impossible as people describe, but engineering is more hardcore than other things and you could still find a job as say, a chemist, though you might need to do a masters/Ph.D in Chemistry to get there.

Cheme is by far the toughest major at my school (large state school). I would not suggest it unless you are REALLY interested in it, as more than a backup. If you want a major that will give you a good backup career, do econ. Definitely do engineering if you enjoy it, but if you do it for a backup career you'll probably regret it. If you hate it your GPA will probably suffer.

Cheme is by far the toughest major at my school (large state school). I would not suggest it unless you are REALLY interested in it, as more than a backup. If you want a major that will give you a good backup career, do econ. Definitely do engineering if you enjoy it, but if you do it for a backup career you'll probably regret it. If you hate it your GPA will probably suffer.

Yep.

Cheme... because I'm biased.

And then, maybe, like me, you'll find out you earned a good GPA (which would be even better in an easier major), a good MCAT, and don't need this degree anymore. But you'll be too far in to switch to something easier like bio or biochem. But cheme is at least interesting, which is some consolation to the heaps of extra work.

I've always said ChemE was the perfect major. You can work in lots of high-paying engineering jobs and it is good as med school prep since you only have to add on Bio I and II.

I'm an ME myself and everyone who thinks you can't pull a good GPA in engineering just isn't trying hard enough.

Well as many have said, you should pick a major that you enjoy, as you will generally do better in it if you are into the subject. I use to be a BME major, but once I started into the program, I found out that it was a very poorly designed program at the university, with all of the classes being Electrical Engineering and only 2 class in the senior year being involved in the actual BME part.

Because of the EE aspect, I was completely bored with all the circuits and calculations being done. There was one bright side to this though, one of the requirements for this major was Physiology, which I appsolutely loved, thus making it my new major (Biology with focus on Physiology).

My point being that if you consider BME, do research on how the program is designed, it might not be what you expect. And as others have said, Chem Eng is more established due to being in exsistance for so long, BME is a fairly new discipline in the Engineering world, when compared to the other ones. But even more so, you should do something you are interested in, you're going to be there for 4 years, might as well learn something you actually want to learn ;)