Biomedical engineering pre med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharrak

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Can someone post the courses to take in the first 2 years of BME undergrad on pre med track, especially in the first semester? Also if I get a research internship in the first semester, does it **** towards course credit?

Members don't see this ad.

I think these questions are best served for your academic/premed advisor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I think these questions are best served for your academic/premed advisor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second this. You should be more worried about what your school needs you to do to graduate than what random people on sdn will tell you to do (which arguably, you know, I'm doing, so maybe I shouldn't be talking). As someone with friends in BME, generally the courses are a pretty good match to pre-med prereq's. You might need to toss an extra biology class in there or something, but other than that, you'll probably be golden. Again, make sure you talk to an adviser at your school about this.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to go to Med school, pick something with an easier path to a good GPA, especially since you don’t intend to work as a biomed engineer.

Otherwise, ask your advisor. This will vary tremendously with degree requirements between schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Like others said, check with your premedical or BME advisor. They should be able to show you the four year course schedule for your degree. Each med school has their own prereqs, so check on the websites of various schools then work with your advisor to map out your course schedule. Generally, the first two years of BME courses should cover most of the basic med school prereqs (they did at my school). You might have to take a few higher level med school prereqs (genetics, O.Chem II, etc.) and non-science courses as electives.

If you want to go to Med school, pick something with an easier path to a good GPA, especially since you don’t intend to work as a biomed engineer.

Otherwise, ask your advisor. This will vary tremendously with degree requirements between schools.
This is definitely something to consider. You might have to spend more time studying than you would if you pursued another degree, that time could be put towards ECs, studying for the MCAT, etc. BME is a good fallback degree and has some impressive research opportunities though. I will also say that my engineering coursework helped me out quite a bit on the MCAT with CARS and C/P

Reactions: 1 user
Like others said, check with your premedical or BME advisor. They should be able to show you the four year course schedule for your degree. Each med school has their own prereqs, so check on the websites of various schools then work with your advisor to map out your course schedule. Generally, the first two years of BME courses should cover most of the basic med school prereqs (they did at my school). You might have to take a few higher level med school prereqs (genetics, O.Chem II, etc.) and non-science courses as electives.

This is definitely something to consider. You might have to spend more time studying than you would if you pursued another degree, that time could be put towards ECs, studying for the MCAT, etc. BME is a good fallback degree and has some impressive research opportunities though. I will also say that my engineering coursework helped me out quite a bit on the MCAT with CARS and C/P

I am new in SDN. What are "CARS" and "C/P" in MCAT?